Summary: We learned so far as the deceiver Satan uses lies to attack the mind to make us ignorant of God’s will. As the destroyer, he attacks our bodies to make us impatient with God’s will. We will see this week that as the Ruler, Satan attacks the will and the w
Unfortunately, many people don't believe that the Devil really exists. We characterize Satan as some fictitious person. We learned so far as the deceiver Satan uses lies to attack the mind to make us ignorant of God’s will. As the destroyer, he attacks our bodies to make us impatient with God’s will. If Satan cannot defeat you by deceiving your mind, He will try to destroy your body. As the serpent, he deceives, as the lion he destroys. If he can get you to believe his lie then you will destroy yourself, If we resist his deceit he will attack out bodies. We will see this week that as the Ruler, Satan attacks the will and the weapon he uses we all are guilty off at one time or another.
I. In the Bible, we are warned repeatedly to be aware of our enemy.
A. Eph. 6:11-12 (pp)
1. Paul is telling us that we have a fight on our hands. Our enemy is not against flesh and blood but our enemy is the “rulers, authorities, and spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realm.” Our enemy is Satan & his demons.
• 1 Pet. 4:8 (pp)
2. What was David’s biggest sin?
II. The Target (our will)
A. Satan’s ultimate goal is to get to the will and control it.
1. He may start by deceiving the mind
2. Or attacking the body
3. With David, he bypassed both, went straight for the will, and won.
B. The will is very important in the Christian life.
1. To many Christians have an intellectual religion that satisfies the mind
• They can discuss and argue the bible
• But fail to live it
2. Or they have an emotional religion that is made up of changing feelings
• Unless they are on an emotional high they feel God has forsaken them
C. God wants the whole man to be devoted to him
1. An intelligent mind
2. A fervent heart
3. And an obedient will
• Our obedience should be intelligent and motivated from a warm loving heart.
III. The Christian life
A. A matter of the will
1. Love the Lord withal our heart (emotions)
2. All our minds (intellect)
3. All our strength (the will)
B. Your will helps determine your character
1. Decisions mold character
2. Decisions chart the direction of your life
3. You can try to blame circumstances, feelings, or even people
• Only an excuse
C. The will must direct your life
1. You were saved by saying I Will
2. You grow and serve God by saying thy will
D. Christian love is not a feeling it is a willing
1. God commands us to love one another
• He cannot command our feelings
• He can command our wills
2. Satan’s original sin was a sin of the will.
3. H seeks to duplicate this sin in our lives
E. Satan is the ruler of this world
1. John 12:31
2. John 14:30
3. We are rebellious aliens in his territory
• We obey heavens law and submit to heavens Lord
4. Satan wants us to serve and worship him
• He wants our will submitted to his will
IV. Satan’s Weapon Pride
A. David was feeling important when Satan approached him
1. 1 Chronicles 20 records numerous victories, including a valuable crown that David wore.
• He won many victories but lost the war.
• Satan used these victories to inflate David’s ego
B. His sin with Bathsheba was a sin of the flesh
1. When he numbered the nation he committed a sin of the spirit.
C. Pride enters all sin to some degree
2. Danger of success
• Intense spiritual battles against pride.
3. Pride glorifies man and robs God
• David numbered people for his own glory not Gods
• Disobeying God – Psalm32
V. Satan’s purpose is to make you independent of God’s will
A. Man is a dependent creature
1. He must depend on God and his fellowman to stay alive
2. The essence of sin is to be independent of God
• If Satan can get us to believe the lie, to act and think independent of God he can control your will and your life
3. You may think you are acting freely, but you are not
• The will of God is the most important thing in the believer’s life.
VI. Our defense
A. The indwelling Spirit of God
1. Pride is a strong weapon in the hands of a strong adversary
2. Only a stronger power can defeat him
3. Work out does not mean work for
• Means to bring Christian life completion