Summary: God loves to give good gifts to His children. He has many wonderful Christmas presents for everyone, and you don’t have to wait until December 25th to open them.
ILLUSTRATION: Santa Letters
"Dear Santa, you did not bring me anything good last year. You did not bring me anything good the year before that. This is your last chance. Signed, Alfred."
"Dear Santa, there are three little boys who live at our house. There is Jeffrey; he is 2. There is David; he is 4. And there is Norman; he is 7. Jeffrey is good some of the time. David is good some of the time. But Norman is good all of the time. I am Norman."
OPENING: Christmas can be a stressful time for people.
• Stress = a force or a pressure that strains or deforms.
• One of the things is money – if you spend too much money on your credit cards, you spend the next six months paying it off.
• Another thing that can cause stress is family gatherings, or having no family, if you feel like you’re all alone. Maybe you’ve lost a loved one this year, that can put stress.
• Shopping can put pressure on you. There was a study done that said only 1 out of 4 women feel pressure when they’re shopping. All men feel pressure when they go shopping. A British Psychologist named David Lewis did a study and put men in a shopping mall and monitored their blood pressure rate and discovered that shopping is actually hazardous to your health. So guys I just gave you an ‘out’. The blood pressure rate rises to that of a fighter pilot going into combat. We could have told you that without the study – it’s a battle! I still have to do my shopping.
Have you heard people say, “Christmas isn’t about the presents?” I don’t agree with that!
“Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning.” (James 1:17).
THE BIG IDEA: God loves to give good gifts to His children. He has many wonderful Christmas presents for everyone, and you don’t have to wait until December 25th to open them.
CHRISTMAS PRESENTS FROM HEAVEN:
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have everlasting life.” (John 3:16).
• Jesus is the greatest Christmas present from Heaven!
“Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel, which is translated, God with us.” (Matthew 1:23).
“And the Word (Jesus) became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.” (John 1:14).
“For unto us a Child is born, Unto us a Son is given; And the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.” (Isaiah 9:6).
• God became a human being – He became one of us, and He is with us!
1. GREAT JOY:
“Then the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid, for behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy which will be to all people.” (Luke 2:10).
O HOLY NIGHT:
O holy night! The stars are brightly shining; it is the night of the dear Saviour’s birth.
Long lay the world in sin and error pining. Till He appeared and the soul felt its worth.