Contributed by Dr. C. David White on Dec 2, 2002 (message contributor)
Summary: God was revealed more than just His presence in the birth of Jesus Christ.
In the past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways, 2 but in these last days He has spoken to us by His Son, whom He appointed heir of all things, and through whom He made the universe. 3 The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of His being, sustaining all things by His powerful word. After He had provided purification for sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven. Heb 1:1-3 (NIV)
Yearly Q’s? (Dec 25; 3 Wise men find “baby” Jesus in a manger) The Christmas story misunderstood –
Perhaps because of UNCLEAR COMMUNICATION
God has been actively revealing Himself throughout the course of human history.
(1) God personally revealed Himself to ADAM. [This was His perfect will -- but Sin!]
(2) God has always revealed Himself through the natural world He created. CREATION
ROM 1:18 The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness, 19 since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. (NIV)
(3) God revealed Himself to Israel through the LAW. [Road back into fellowship]
(4) God revealed Himself through PROPHETS in the Old Testament.
(5) He revealed Himself through the APOSTLES in the New Testament.
(6) Finally, God revealed Himself through His own Son.
The very concept that—the mighty God, Maker of the Universe, is concerned about things that take place on Earth—staggers the imagination. Most amazing of all is the revelation that it pleased Him to put His own Son into our world to reveal Himself clearly.
What was it that God revealed through Jesus? [Revelations – God has given a “object” lesson]
1- Jesus Revealed a PATTERN For Mankind to Follow
• He did through the life He lived. (Gospels)
• Daily from cradle to cross - Love God and man!!! (WWJD?)
2- Jesus Revealed the PURPOSE of God
• God’s purpose is to bring lost man back to Himself. (Eden walk)
3- Jesus Revealed the PLAN of God
• The plan of God is the Cross and Faith. (God’s part & ours Jn. 3:16)
“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. Jn 3:16-17
4- Jesus Revealed God’s POWER to Carry Out the Plan
• “through whom He made the universe” (Heb. 1:2c)
• “sustaining all things by His powerful word” (Heb. 1:3a)
• God’s power is revealed by Jesus coming back from the DEAD. (Heb. 1:3b - Resurrection)
5- Jesus Revealed the PATIENCE of God
• His patience is revealed through the Holy Spirit’s dealing with us in love. (2 Pet. 3)
These parts join together just as music does to make a great symphony. Together they make God comprehensible.
Two of the SADDEST verses in the Bible
Jn 1:10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not. 11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not. (KJV)
One of the BRIGHTEST follows these verses.
12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: (KJV)
“Be persuaded, timid soul, that He has loved you too much to cease loving you.” Fenelon
God’s Gift is not found under the tree, but ON the tree!