Summary: Learning to appropriate the power of the resurrection is a key to experiencing the conquering power over our fear of death, the lures of sin and the oppression from the devil. Whenever I feel afraid I begin to sing the song, "In the name of Jesus. We have
The Lord Jesus Assures Us of Power Over Death, Sin and the Devil (Matt 26:45-50)
Learning to appropriate the power of the resurrection is a key to experiencing the conquering power over our fear of death, the lures of sin and the oppression from the devil. Whenever I feel afraid I begin to sing the song, "In the name of Jesus. We have the victory. In the name of Jesus. Satan will have to flee..."
Illustration: Funeral of Brezhnev
As Vice President, George Bush represented the U.S. at the funeral of former Soviet leader Leonid Brezhnev. Bush was deeply moved by a silent protest carried out by Brezhnev’s widow. She stood motionless by the coffin until seconds before it was closed. Then, just as the soldiers touched the lid, Brezhnev’s wife performed an act of great courage and hope, a gesture that must surely rank as one of the most profound acts of civil disobedience ever committed: She reached down and made the sign of the cross on her husband’s chest. There in the citadel of secular, atheistic power, the wife of the man who had run it all hoped that her husband was wrong. She hoped that there was another life, and that that life was best represented by Jesus who died on the cross, and that the same Jesus might yet have mercy on her husband.
Gary Thomas, in Christianity Today, October 3, 1994, p. 26
Truth to Proclaim: Resurrection of Christ Is…
1. The seal of a finished work Acts 13:29-3-
2. The sign of a glorious triumph Heb. 2:14; Eph. 4:8
3. The pledge of a coming resurrection 1 Cor. 15:20-22
4. The certainty of a future judgment Acts 17:31
From the Book of 750 Bible and Gospel Studies, 1909, George W Noble, Chicago
Illustration: One day our film evangelists from Jos ECWA/SIM seminary, showed the Jesus film in a Waja village in northeast Nigeria. Even though the Muslims had hired a witch doctor to put a curse on the film and the evangelists the Lord protected everything and everyone doing His will that day. When the film got to the part that showed Jesus Christ hanging on the cross the evangelist said to the crowd of 500 Muslims onlookers, "This is the God who made heaven and earth. He came to earth to die on THAT cross for your sins and mine."
That truth so overwhelmed the Muslims that they spontaneously pick up dirt to throw it on their bodies as a sign of their utter shame for causing the creator to humble Himself for them. No power or love could be greater, they shouted - all prayed to receive Christ as Savior that day. When we recognized and fully place our faith in the miraculous power of Jesus Christ, we too will see God do great things beyond our human imaginations.
1. Do not fail to remember the price Jesus paid for the past, present and future sins of the world. (Matt. 26:45)His power over death, sin and the devil was evidenced in the resurrection. Let us preach, teach and appropriate the resurrection power of Christ in all aspects of our thinking and believing. Too many people fail to live out of the resurrection power of Christ as it is the assurance of the gift of the Holy Spirit that guides, provides and enables us to conqueor sin, death and the devil.