Summary: An All Age Seeker Service on whether church is boring including video, drama, vox pops and a lot of fun! The Service was divided into 3 sections. Order of Service Included. Email me for Powerpoint Presentation.
“Church is boring!”- true? AAW WBC 9 Feb 2003
(PPT= next PowerPoint title)
1) Sometimes yes- it’s the church’s fault
Illustr: me at school. Forced and bored. Doing diary
- Youth group when 9. Changed the clocks & ended up 55 mins early!
Mr Bean is hilarious (roll clip)
- = how some of us have felt! May feel today
- don’t know when to stand/sit
- = like a library! Shhhhh!
o Radio 4 “What’s church?” That’s where we mind our P’s and Q’s
Quote Oscar Wilde:
“The church is viewed as an ageing grandmother, surrounded by memorabilia and odd musty smells. Lovely to visit, but intolerable to live with”-
Need to be v mindful of how it feels to newcomers (PPT)
We mustn’t think: (PPT)
- This is an Anglican, C of E, thing (PPT)
o There’s nothing deader than a dead Baptist church!
- Jesus isn’t there! (PPT)
o Where 2 or three are gathered…”
o When I came to faith I naively used to think it was boring because Jesus probably wasn’t there!
I failed to see Him!
- They’re not Christians (PPT) OR
- They’re not committed! (PPT)
o Takes a HUGE amount of commitment, faith and maturity to stick with it… something like this!
o The may go for the exact opposite reason!
Deeply committed to Jesus
Maybe to help… grow it
Maybe that’s THEIR way of worshipping, corporately
Besides- only God knows their hearts (ppt)
Another truth is this
We mustn’t think (ppt, runs itself, timed)
- drums, bands etc
- is more pleasing to God than
- organs etc
That’s to do with styles and culture… not spirituality
So- (PPT) in one sense- it doesn’t matter to God… … and shouldn’t matter to US whether it’s
- 20, 50, 100 or 250 years behind culturally
- apart from ONE thing:
- “Church is the only society that exists for the benefit of its non-members!”
Jesus spoke of leaving the 99 sheep (PPT) to go and search for the one that went astray
Society is moving SO fast nowadays
- change of one generation, 25 years, takes place in 5 or less
- if we don’t always ask “how can I BETTER communicate this message… change the packaging (not the gift)”
- If we’re still doing it the same in 5 years time
We have failed
And THIS is an important thing- because it has to do with people’s very salvation!!
So- it’s GOOD to worship God in different ways (PPT, will autoshow Mr Bean)
- but to make Jesus boring to Seekers is a sin!
And so- we need to be honest. The church has failed (ppt)
- (PPT) we’ve failed by playing safe and pandering to Christians (fat sheep!)
o comforting & cuddling them
And have made the message and Jesus appear less attractive in doing so
- (PPT) but some of us have fallen off the other side of the log, as well
o particularly evangelical churches where, rightly, we believe people NEED to be saved and make CHOICE to follow Jesus
o we have concentrated on CONVERSION rather than discipleship…. And have sometimes resorted to ‘spin’, ‘hype’ to get folks there
haven’t prepared folks for a LIFE of walking with Him
And so- we try and be like Paul (PPT)