Summary: Character traits of leadership are necessary to be a leader in the church and in the Kingdom of God.
Due to the large amount of sermons and topics that appear on this site I feel it is necessary to post this disclaimer on all sermons posted. These sermons are original to the author and the leading of the Holy Spirit. While ideas and illustrations are often gleaned from many sources including those at Sermoncentral.com, any similarities and wording including sermon title, that may appear to be the same as any other sermon are purely coincidental. In instances where other minister’s wording is used, due recognition will be given. These sermons are not copyrighted and may be used or preached freely. May God richly bless you as you read these words. It is my sincere desire that all who read them may be enriched. All scriptures quoted in these sermons are copies and quoted from the Authorized King James Version of the Holy Bible.
Pastor James May
Leadership Training Lesson 1
Loyalty in the Life of a Christian
Section I What is loyalty?
1)Remaining true and faithful to a cause, a person, a promise, duty or obligation
2)Having consistency of action and steadfastness of purpose
4)Keep your promises and be trustworthy
5)Unwavering, firmly fixed, immovable and established
Section II How is Loyalty Exhibited?
1) You must have the heart of a servant. Develop the same attitudes that Christ had toward being a servant!
Philippians 2:7-8, "But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross."
2) There must be a consistency in your edification of those that God has placed in positions of authority over you and those around you.
Loyalty means that I will not listen to gossip or engage in negative talk about anyone. If I am loyal to you, I don’t want to hear about every mistake or dwell on your faults. I prefer to think of your good qualities and your character.
Philippians 4:8, "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."
How can I say that I am loyal to you and listen to someone tear you down?
3) If I want to be Loyal I must first learn to be open and honest in all my communications with God and my fellowman.
Ephesians 4:29, "Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.”
Section III Who deserves your loyalty?
1) Your loyalty should always be directed upwardly first.
Matthew 6:33, "But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you."
God’s first commandment given to Moses on Mt. Sinai was, Exodus 20:3, "Thou shalt have no other gods before me."
So our first place of loyalty is to God himself and no other. No pastor, friend, family member or anyone else should ever take the first place in our lives.
2) Secondly, your loyalty must be directed toward your church to build it up and to make it into a soul saving station.
3) Your Pastor deserves your loyalty because He is responsible for your spiritual welfare.
4) Your other church leaders deserve your loyalty for the same reasons. God has placed them where they are. We won’t always agree with one another and sometimes we may get angry over some issue, but that should never destroy our loyalty unless that leader is doing things that are contrary to the Word of God.
5) We should be loyal to our brothers and sisters in Christ because we are all of one family and should be working together in unity to see that the body stays healthy.
6) We should also have loyalty to those friends and family who have proven their loyalty and trust to you. Not every one who calls himself “friend” or “brother” will be loyal to you.
What criterion establishes where loyalty should be placed?
1)Who has shown loyalty to you? Is there someone who has stood by you through thick and thin, through all the storms of life? Who has stayed by your side when you were wrong and when you were right? Has there been anyone who has shown loyalty to you no matter what happened? That is who deserves your loyalty, and no other!