Summary: Unless we know who we are, where we are going and who we are trying to minister to, how can we fulfil our mission as a church family?
What are we aiming for?
Clarifying our mission and purpose
Write down on a paper, last weeks main point of the message. Put your name at the top of the paper and pass it forward.
The main thrust of the message was, Do we know who we are as a church? What do we stand for?
1. Unless we know
who we are, where we are going, who we are trying to minister too, how can we reach others and fulfill our mission as a church family?
2. Without clear goals – our mission & purpose statements, body conscience, we will go in circles
3. You will hear me mention repeatedly- church body consciousness, what do you suppose I mean by that?
I mean that when we are aware we are a church FAMILY we will begin to act and think in context of the group and not just about me.
Text: Read together Acts 20:17-38
This is an awesome account of the apostle calling the church family together and giving them direction as he was about to see them no more
A. We need a purpose and mission statement that will give clarity to the reason that we exist.
1. Where there is no revelation, the people cast off restraint
(Proverbs 29:18, NKJV)
Literally, run unrestrained- without purpose
2. Our purpose statement should read as follows
Our purpose is to glorify Jesus in all that we do.
To share the good news with those who are looking.
And above all, stay true to our commitments.
3. Our mission statement should read as follows
Our mission is to minister to the youth and those with families in America and help them mature in their relationship with Jesus Christ.
B. We need to raise our level of church family consciences.
If I were to ask you, what makes for a close friend? family? what would you answer? Write it down.
1. So far, we have just been having church. It is now time we become a church FAMILY.
a. We look out for each other
b. We cover for each other – like I did my friends in my old life.
There is a saying, Friends don’t let friends drink and drive
I say family, don’t let others mess with the family.
2. We need to CONNECT UP with the Living Word Church family
a. Get onboard- get plugged in, with the family
Why would I say that? Why do we need to Connect up
A family is first and foremost- united together
b. I want to teach Church Ownership of this church family to you.
This will now be YOUR church family
YOU will be responsible for its health
C. How do we get on-board… connect up… become part of… this church family?
1. First and foremost – decide if you think you want to be a part of this church family and have a stake in the ownership of it.
This will be YOUR BODY!!!
2. Will you be willing to work and help with its success?
We will teach you what to do.
2. Then sign the covenant between you and your brother an sisters.
(See attached covenant statement)
Homework assignment for the week
a. Memorize the Mission and purpose statement and be prepared to share it up front or to write it down a paper and pass it front.
b. Read, study and pray over the Church Covenant.
My Covenant to the church family of Living Word Community Church
Having received Christ as my Lord and Savior and been baptized, and being in agreement with the purpose and mission statements, I now feel led by the Holy Spirit to commit myself to God and to the church family to do the following:
1. I Will Protect the Unity of My Church
by acting in love toward others
by refusing to gossip
by following the biblical example of my leaders
2. I Will Share the Responsibility of My Church
by praying for its growth and vitality
by inviting others to attend
by warmly welcoming those who visit
3. I Will Serve the Ministry of My Church
by discovering my gifts and talents
by being equipped to serve with the assistance of my pastors
by developing a servant’s heart
4. I Will Support the Testimony of My Church
by attending faithfully
by living a godly life
by giving regularly
5. I Will Maintain the Purity of My Church
by dressing modestly
by remaining chaste (free from impurity) before marriage
by staying faithful to my husband/wife till death
6. And above all, by staying true to my commitments.
On this day