Summary: Who is Jesus to you? A miracle worker, or the Lord of your life? We have got to be able to answer that before we can fully understand the mission He was on because having faith in Christ is more than a catch-phrase, but a life altering decision.
Cleansing the Temple
- The gospel of John screams of the faith that we should have in Christ
-- It is the clearest example of living life FOR the one who redeemed you and I
- If we can learn to love others like Jesus’ … we can bring them TO Him
-- Re: We won’t bring a friend to something we do not like
-- John demonstrates and challenges us to love people like Christ did
- Today, we will look at last three of 6 “M’s” that happen in John 2
-- Wed we talked about Jesus' mother, His method, and His first miracle
-- Today we will discuss Him at the market, His meanings, and know His motive
- Read John 2:12-25 / Pray
∆ Point 1 – Jesus at the Market
- After the wedding in Cana, Jesus and his disciples traveled to Capernaum
-- Capernaum is at the very Northern tip of the Sea of Galilee in Israel
- Jesus then traveled to Jerusalem for the Passover (a frequent occurrence)
-- Traveling to Jerusalem would’ve been an event, a huge opportunity to “get out”
-- Consider: Living in a tiny town, and now you are going to NYC
- And what He finds, is probably the most disturbing part of our story
-- In Jerusalem, in the House of David, the Temple of the Lord – it’s horrible
- Re: Passover is to celebrate surviving the Angel of Death in Egypt
-- It was held in the first month of the sacred year or 7th month of civil year
- All of the merchandise in v14 would’ve been brought for sacrificial purposes
-- People would travel for great distances and not be able to purchase offerings
-- Re: This is not like packing the minivan for a two hour drive …
- So, upon arrival to the temple, they would need animals to sacrifice
-- The problem here occurs at the beginning of v14 … “in the temple courts”
- This is the place where Gentiles could pray; a place of honor and respect
-- However, they are unable to do that because of the massive flea market
-- But the merchants have come for one reason: To make money, not honor God
- While we may not respond the same way – we still have the same issues today
-- APP: Consider these things and look at modern day church:
• Has the church become a merchandise center?
• Is the ministry more concerned with money than the lost/needy?
• Are the people are more focused on being seen than bringing others in?
- Naturally, we might be startled to see Jesus fashion a whip
-- I’m sure the disciples were in awe watching this happen before their eyes
- So for us, one of the main questions we must ask here is: Why?
-- Why would Jesus respond in a way that seems outside His scope of peace?
-- Why would His response to a “normal occurrence” be so dramatic/drastic?
- APP: Often times, it takes a cleansing to put things back in order
-- The bible is consistent of its representation of God’s house and of prayer
-- These are two highly respected and treasured areas in God’s eyes
- And here, many had come to just “be part of the scene” and go home