Summary: Before a building project begins, there is always the process of clearing the landscape. You wouldn’t want to lay a foundation on land with debris, would you? In the process of building towards revival, what debris is on your landscape?
• Throwing things away is not my strong point. My wife and my mother can attest to this. I remember when I was a teenager Mom used to come in my room and ask, "Glenn, are you in there?" Of course she was being sarcastic (At least I think she was).
• When we moved I decided I would throw away anything I didn’t really need anymore. Of course my Regina was overjoyed by this and I don’t think I’m being sarcastic when I say we threw away more than we moved. "Why do you do that?" she asked. The truth is I don’t know. I guess I just get so used to having things around that it seems natural. I don’t really think about throwing it away.
o Colossians 3:5,6 - "Therefore put to death your members which are on earth: fornication, uncleanness, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry. Because of these things the wrath of God is coming on the son’s of disobedience."
o II Chr 7:14
• This morning I want to talking about “Clearing the Landscape” – getting those things out of our live that are keeping the revival flames from igniting.
• To do that… very popular Biblical Character… One you have all heard of… Jehoidia (GE-HOI-A-DUH)
o Sarcasm – A bit more obscure, powerful story of Revival
• King Ahaziah, a very evil king (influence by his even more evil mother – Ath-a-ly-a) , was brought down of his throne, by Jehu. After his death, Athaliah proceeded to destroy the whole royal family of the house of Judah.
o Why would she do that? If no king…Queen!
o The only possible heir she did not kill was Joash. He was taken into hiding when he was only one year old and remained there until he was 7.
• This is the point where Jehoidia took over, and stood up as God’s man to bring revival to a land being ruled by a tyrant queen.
Read Chapter 23:1-15
I. JEHOIDIA LED JUDAH TO REVIVAL WITH…
1. He didn’t just run in blindly.
2. Know from other texts – man of prayer
3. Man of deep religious conviction
a. Warned no one besides priests and Levites to enter temple.
ii. Did not go alone – gathered Levites
iii. According to 2 Kings 11, he also gathered soldiers
i. I love the line in verse 4 – “Now this is what you are to do…”
ii. Again – did not go in blindly – had a strategy!
1. third at the doors
2. third at the palace
3. third at the foundation gate
iii.Because of going in with a strategy, he was able to not only overthrow Athaliah, but place young Joash upon the throne.
iv. Now, you would think that would be enough, but he knew that true revival would not be possible without
i. Read 16-17
ii. Made a great statement - We will be the Lord’s people
iii.Tore down idols
Great example –
II. FOR US TO EXPERIENCE REVIVAL, WE MUST HAVE…
i. Society of spiritual wimps –
1. What can God do for me?
2. 100 reasons why a plan or program won’t be successful, but won’t give an alternate approach or offer to help.
3. Similar to the 10 spies – “We can do it” – Isreal listened to them instead of Joshua and Caleb – Why? Wimpiness is contagious!
4. Jehoiada – Verse 3b – “This is going to happen! He know that it was God’s will and that God was with him
ii. Holy Spirit
1. Wonderful gift
1. Just like wimpiness is contagious – So in Strength – Resolve – “How this is what is going to happen!!!”
i. What do you want to accomplish with your Christianity?
1. Heaven? That’s fine – but if that is the ultimate goal of your Christianity, isn’t that kind of selfish?
2. Eph 3:10
3. Glorify God
4. Show him Praise
ii. We must have a strategy for personal revival which means asking “what do I want to accomplish” … But we also must
iii. Determine what is standing in the way of your serving God.
1. What does revival look like? What would my life look like if I experienced revival?
2. Jehoiada knew that Revival looked like Joash sitting on a throne in a land free of idols.
3. Do you know what revival looks like? God sitting on a throne, in a life free of idols!
i. Revival – Clearing the Landscape
1. Society – Political
2. Church – Watchdog
ii. SELF – CLEAR THE LANDSCAPE
1. Colossians 3:5,6 - "Therefore put to death your members which are on earth: fornication, uncleanness, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry. Because of these things the wrath of God is coming on the son’s of disobedience."