Summary: As Christians we must be careful lest we deviate from the righteous path.
THE BOOK STUDY ON COLOSSIANS
TEXT: COLOSSIANS 2:1-23
Apostle Paul was passionate about meeting the churches of Colosse and Laodicea even to those believers yet to see him face to face (verse1) for the purpose of encouraging them, uniting them in love and to reveal the riches of complete understanding of Christ - Col 2:2
A) Paul's Instructions to the Church
1) To live in Christ - Colossians 2:3
How can we live in Christ?
(a) Rooted and built in Him
(b) Strengthened in the faith as taught (the Truth)
2) To overflow in thankfulness
B) PAUL'S WARNING - Colossians 2:8, Col 2:16-23
As Christians we must be careful lest we deviate from the righteous path. They have "appearance of wisdom", and are shadows. They do not have power to stop the flesh - Col 2:23. And such people are disconnected- Col 2:19.
1) Religion without Christ as the Head and Christ as the only Focus:
*These are hollow and deceptive philosophy
* They are based on Human Tradition and Elemental Spiritual forces.
2) False Humility: Self abasement/asceticism
3) Worship of Angels
4) Harsh treatment of the body/Externalism
5) Self Imposed Worship
C) THE BENEFITS/BLESSINGS OF THE CROSS - 1 Corinthians 1:18
Apostle Paul pointed to them some benefits of the cross:
Outside Christ we don't have spiritual blessings, no redemption, no forgiveness of sin, condemnation and no place in Heaven.
4) The cancellation of our debt and nailed it on the cross - Col 2:14, 2 Peter 2:24, 2 Cor 5:18-21, Rom 6:18,22, 1 Thess 5:9