Summary: A rich young ruler came to Jesus asking him what “GOOD THING” he could do to inherit eternal life, and the truth is that there is no “good thing” that one can do to inherit eternal life!
TITLE: COME AS YOU ARE, BUT DON’T LEAVE AS YOU CAME
SCRIPTURE: ST. MARK 10:17-22
I would like to talk to you from the subject this morning – Come As You Are, But Don’t Leave As You Came. Elect Lady and I were travelling in the car to Georgia and discussing the Church and what we all need to do to grow the Church to the next level. During the conversation she made the comment - Come As You Are, But Don’t Leave As You Came. The thought began to resound and resonate in my spirit. At that very moment, I knew it was a thought that must be examined from the pulpit.
I know this is a very familiar text, yet there are some treasures and truths this morning that should help and encourage us in our journey. A rich young ruler came to Jesus asking him what “GOOD THING” he could do to inherit eternal life, and the truth is that there is no “good thing” that one can do to inherit eternal life!
• He was a wealthy man, and a young man
• His eyes were set on religious matters
• His eyes were set on teachers, eternal life, good deeds
• He had the look of a seeker
• He seemed willing to listen and eager to learn
• He seemed a disciple-in-the-making
• He seemed a prime candidate to be a disciple in training
• His certificate was almost signed
• But his story has a dark end
It must have been quite a scene that day. Jesus was headed to Jerusalem to complete His assignment, when, suddenly, this young man came running toward Jesus and knelt before Him. As Jesus looked at this young man, he saw in him such Promise and such Potential. That’s why I love the Lord; he sees things in us that no one else sees.
• He sees beyond our faults
• He sees beyond our hang-ups
• He sees beyond our flaws
• He sees beyond our mask
• He sees beyond our idiosyncrasies
• He sees beyond our attitudes
--The Songwriter and Singer Marvin Sapp said it best –
HE’S SAW THE BEST IN ME
WHEN EVERYONE ELSE AROUND
COULD ONLY SEE THE WORST IN ME
We have to stop sizing people up around us. We want to qualify those we encounter as to if they are worthy enough for us to Witness or Evangelize. We must allow the Holy Spirit to show us their Potential, what and who they can become in Christ. This Rich, Young, Ruler comes running up to Jesus, Probably expecting a pat on the back. Look at the text again - Jesus beheld him, He loved him.
• Matthew, Mark and Luke all say that he went away sorrowful
• Matthew tells us he was a young man
• Luke tells us he was a ruler; in the high religious class
• Mark tells us he was rich
• That's why we call him “The Rich Young Ruler”
• Mark also tells us that as Jesus beheld him
• He loved him
You simply need to COME AS YOU ARE. IT IS NOT HOW YOU ENTER BUT HOW YOU LEAVE. You would think at first glance this young man had everything. Maybe even reading this account this morning some are even jealous at all he was able to do and accumulate in his young life. I believe somewhere along his journey he encountered Jesus and heard the Rabbi teach on Eternal Life. This grew his curiosity, so he is excited to once again see Jesus in his view and hastily runs to Jesus.
Can I FOOTNOTE here for a moment? No matter where we are in our journey, there will come a point in our life where we must come Running to Jesus. If you have not yet experienced that moment in your life, keep on living. There will come a time:
• You Can’t Wait Another Hour
• You Can’t Wait Another Minute
• You Can’t Wait Another Second
• You Will Come Running to Jesus
Although this young man may have appeared to have much; although he may have appeared to have himself all together. Jesus recognized there was something missing.
• He had much – Yet he lacked everything
• His life was full – Yet he was so empty
• He had financial security – Yet, he was spiritually bankrupt
WHAT MUST I DO TO INHERIT ETERNAL LIFE? Jesus has a way of dealing with us in an effort to help us focus on what is really important. You would think at first glance THIS IS REALLY A GOOD QUESTION. But, in reality, He could do nothing to “INHERIT” eternal life, but he could get himself in “POSITION” to receive the inheritance.