Summary: The Rapture in the Old and the New Testaments.
Come Lord Jesus!
I. Prophecy in the Old Testament.
A. There are approx. 333 prophecies in the O.T. about the first coming of Jesus.
b. Many of them fulfilled on the day He died.
c. Prophecies that are fulfilled prove the credibility of the Bible.
d. Show chart of Law of Compound Probability. From Dakes’ Bible = Page 731
II. Genesis 5 contains the first 10 generations from Adam to Noah.
a. The Holy Spirit has hidden the story of redemption of man in the meanings of the names from Adam to Noah.
b. (Following gleaned from Chuck Missler teachings) A prophetic picture of the Plan of Redemption hidden in the meaning of the names of men in the first Ten Generations of Genesis, Chapter 5:
1. verse 3 Adam means . . . . . Man (in Hebrew)
2. " 6 Seth means. . . . . Appointed
3. " 9 Enos means. . . . . Mortal
4. " 12 Cainan means. . . . Sorrow
5. " 13 Mahaleleel means. . Blessed God
6. " 18 Jared means . . . . Shall Come Down
7. " 21 Enoch means . . . . Teaching
8. " 25 Methusalah means. . His Death Brings
9. " 28 Lamech means . . . .Despairing
10. " 32 Noah means . . . . .Rest
Reading the Hebrew meanings in order it would read like this: Man (is) appointed mortal sorrow; (the) Blessed God shall come down teaching; His death brings (the) despairing rest!
III. Let’s look at scriptures about the Rapture and His 2nd Coming.
A. 1 Cor. 15:51-52, Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, 52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.
b. Matt. 24:27, For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.
1. Speed of light is over 186,000 miles per second.
2. The earth is 25,000 miles in circumference.
3. If lightning could strike and go around the world it would travel around 7 ½ times in one second.
4. Anyone who is not saved and thinks he will have time to repent when the Rapture happens has got to be a fast talker.
5. John the Baptist announced His first coming but when He comes at the Rapture there won’t be anyone to announce it.
6. Only those who are watching and listening for the shout, the voice and the sound of the trump will be raptured.
7. Not everyone will hear the same thing at the Rapture. One time Jesus was praying and He asked God to glorify His Name. John 12:28-30, Father, glorify thy name. Then came there a voice from heaven, saying, I have both glorified it, and will glorify it again. 29 The people therefore, that stood by, and heard it, said that it thundered: others said, An angel spake to him.
8. Some people said it was thunder. They were watching the weather.
9. Some said it was an angel.
10. But John 10:27 says, "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me"
11. Jesus is the Good Shepherd. We’re His flock of sheep and we know His Voice. When that call comes at the Rapture we will know Who it is and we will follow Him back to Heaven.
IV. WHAT CAN WE LEARN FROM A VULTURE?
Matthew 24:28 , "For wheresoever the carcase is, there will the eagles be gathered together"
WHAT IS THIS TALKING ABOUT?
a. Turn to Is. 34:1-3, Come near, ye nations, to hear; and hearken, ye people: let the earth hear, and all that is therein; the world, and all things that come forth of it. 2 For the indignation of the LORD is upon all nations, and his fury upon all their armies: he hath utterly destroyed them, he hath delivered them to the slaughter. 3 Their slain also shall be cast out, and their stink shall come up out of their carcases, and the mountains shall be melted with their blood.
b. This is talking about the battle of Armageddon.
1. After the Rapture we are in Heaven for 7 years. There we will go to the Judgment Seat of Christ.
2. Meanwhile on earth, towards the end of the 7 years of Trib. The Battle of Armageddon will be fought.
3. Before men destroy the whole earth with their weapons of mass destruction, Jesus will come back on a white horse to stop the battle with the Words of His mouth.
See Rev. 19:15, "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war. 12 His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself. 13 And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God. 14 And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean. 15 And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: