Summary: Christ calls us to come 1. What we come for? 2. How we come? 3. When we come
Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.
Can you define the word COME?
- The Incredible Journey written by the Canadian author Sheila Burnford published in 1961.
- Disney made it into a movie in (1963)
- An updated version in 1993 under the name Homeward Bound: The story of three pets, a Labrador Retriever, Bull Terrier, and Siamese Cat, who are stranded two hundred miles from home. They face struggles and obstacles on their journey across the Canadian wilderness to come home.
- Our lives are an Incredible Journey
- Jesus bids us come home
A : An action word to move toward something :
approach (come here)
B : To move or journey to a vicinity with a specified purpose
(come see us) (come and see what’s going on)
ONE of the sweetest words in the Bible.
Over 1400x in OT
657 x in NT
" The first call of God to Come" in the Bible is one of salvation
- (Gen. 7.1 And the LORD said unto Noah, Come thou and all thy house into the ark; for thee have I seen righteous before me in this generation Note
- "Come," not "Go!" A proof the Lord Himself was in the Ark)
First NT Reference
Matthew 2:2 (KJV)
2 Saying, Where is he that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him.
Last time in Bible – Revelation 22:17 (KJV)
17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.
I. What We Come For ?
(Share the background of each of these verses)
1. Rest—"Come, and l will give you rest," Matt. 11.28
Mt 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
- Often we are a hamster on a wheel
2. Knowledge—"Come and see," John 1. 39
Jn 1:39 He saith unto them, Come and see. They came and saw where he dwelt, and abode with him that day: for it was about the tenth hour.
3. Satisfaction—"Come unto Me and drink, John 7. 37
Jn 7:37In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.
4. Discipleship - (learner commited)
—"Come and follow Me," Mark 10. 21
Mk 10:21Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.
5. Victory—"Come, . .put your feet upon the necks," Josh. 10. 24
Jos 10:24And it came to pass, when they brought out those kings unto Joshua, that Joshua called for all the men of Israel, and said unto the captains of the men of war which went with him, Come near, put your feet upon the necks of these kings. And they came near, and put their feet upon the necks of them.
6. Fellowship—"Come and dine," John 21. 12
Jn 21:12 Jesus saith unto them, Come and dine. And none of the disciples durst ask him, Who art thou? knowing that it was the Lord.