Summary: This sermons is centered around the 9th Commandment: "Thou Shalt Not Bear False Witness: Thou Shalt Not Lie."

Subject: "Do Not Tell Lies."

Scripture Reference: Exodus 20:16 "Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor."

Ephesians 4:25 - "Wherefore putting away lying, Speak every man TRUTH with His neighbor, for we are members one of another."

<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><


Our text this morning is centered around the 9th commandment contained in the 10 Commandments that God gave to His people, the Israelites, while on their pilgrimage to the Promised Land. This commandment is still for Christians of today to observe since Jesus said He ----"....came not to destroy the law, but that THE LAW through HIm might be fulfilled."

(Matthew 5:17)


<>< <>< <>< <>< <><

There was once a time ---and --- it was not to long ago --- when "A MAN’S WORD" was his bond. With his "WORD" and "A GOOD HANDSHAKE" he could borrow money or buy land. You could risk your life upon him "DOING EXACTLY" -- what he said he would do! He would find a way somehow -- to honor his word, his commitment. Whatever it would cost him --- whatever he had to do --- if there was a way possible -- he would do what he said he would do and he would be where he said he would be. His "good name" was something of "great value" to him and "the genuine trust of others" was very important unto him. Even if it would cost him some personal sacrifice and even if it would cost him some personal pain and discomfort, he would keep his word and would fulfill his promises and obligations.

He may not have had "much" in the way of earthly wealth and material possessions --- BUT --- if he had just 2 things he was considered to be rich --- wealthy. What were those 2 things? I’m glas you asked?

1:) A Good Name and 2:) Friends

Neither one of those things did he take lightly -- for those were things NOT GIVEN to him, he had to EARN both of them, his good name and his friends.

Proverbs 22:1 "A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and a loving favor than silver and gold."

But sadly and shamefully --- with the majority of people, we cannot depend upon just one’s WORD today. Today we have to have a stack of papers signed and notarized and plenty of collaterial in case they don’t do what they said they would do and we don’t get stuck holding the bag!

I have often heard this sound advice: "Don’t ever lend to close friends and family --- unless you want to have a reason to elimnate them from your life, because some statistics suggest that over 55% of the time you lend money to a real close friend or close relative, and they agree to pay it back by a certian date, they will not keep their word. (55%! think on that for a moment --- that means the chances suggest you will not get repaid when they said they would. Better pray that those you lent to were in the 45% that are honest!) Often times, because they consider you to be "A CLOSE FRIEND", they somehow think they don’t have to strive to repay you back as promptly and you are to "UNDERSTAND" without getting mad or upset.

"TRUTH" --- "GENUINE - HONEST TRUTH" and "INTEGRITY" are becoming very rare commodities and virtues found within today’s society. The whole of humanity however suffers when TRUTH IS SACRIFICED for a lie.

Rick Warren, author of the long standing best seller: THE PURPOSE DRIVEN CHURCH, lists these Top Ten American Lies:

#10: Your table will be ready in a minute.

#09: One size fits all.

#08: This will hurt me worse than it hurts you.

#07: I’m sorry I’m late -- I got stuck in


#06: The check is in the mail.

#05: This offer is limited to the 1st 50 callers.

#04: It’s not the money, it’s the principle of

the thing.

#03: I just need 5 minutes of your time.

#02: I’ll start my diet tomorrow.

#01: I’m from the IRS and I’m here to help you.


A pastor was going to preach on the 9th commandment the following Sunday and he asked his congregation to read the 17th chapter of St. Mark to help prepare themselves for the next sermon. The next Sunday came and he read his text taken from Exodus 20 :19, "Thou shalt not bear false witness..." Then he asked for a show of hands from those who had read the 17th chapter of Mark as he asked them to do. Throughout the congregation several hands were raised. Then the pastor said, "I know now why I felt led to preach on this commandment this morning. There is no 17th chapter of Mark."

Copy Sermon to Clipboard with PRO Download Sermon with PRO
Browse All Media

Related Media

Talk about it...

Nobody has commented yet. Be the first!

Join the discussion