Summary: If we are going to win the spiritual war, we need to communicate with HQ on a continual basis
• Over the last three weeks we have been looking at how we can be victorious in the spiritual battles we all fight each and every day. We looked at the importance of knowing who we are fighting along with learning about the protective armor and weapons for war we have been given.
• Spiritual warfare is something that can drain the life right out of us. Some of the difficult battles can really take their toll on us. Sometimes there are so many small skirmishes going on that we get drained because we have so many little battles to fight.
• It can be discouraging to know that we are in for a lifetime of battles with the enemy. It is a never ending war that requires us to be in a state of readiness at all times.
• When we put soldiers in Iraq, the military briefs them on who they are fighting, they teach them how to use the protective gear they are given along with a lot of training on how to use the weapons they are given to fight the battle. Does it end there? What happens when the soldier is in the midst of the battle, or when he is preparing to do battle? Is he on his own? No! They are in constant communication with Head Quarters.
• HQ helps develop the battle plan, and assists the soldier when he is in the battle.
• If a group of soldiers are pinned down, they will contact HQ and request assistance or they will ask for air support or possible advice on a change of tactic.
• The last message in our Preparing For Battle series deals with something that is just as important as knowing you enemy and knowing you equipment. Today we are going to look at staying in contact with headquarters.
• When we are preparing to do battle with the enemy or if we are in the middle of the battle, we have been given a wonderful tool, prayer!
• Prayer is something that will help us to win the spiritual battles we fight. Today we are going to look at four aspects of our communication with Headquarters, or put another way, four aspects of our prayer life with God!
• Let us not neglect one of the most important things that will help bring us victory in our spiritual battles!
• READ EPHESIANS 6:18-19.
• The outline for today’s message is based on the four “alls” found in our passage today.
I. THE TYPE OF COMMUNICATION WE ARE TO HAVE WITH HQ
All Prayers and Petitions
• The first of the four “alls” we see is “with all prayer and petition.”
• This first “all” gives us the types of communication we are to use.
• There are two different words used here for two different levels of communication with God.
• The word “prayer” is a very general word used to represent cries for help, confession of sin, profession of faith, adoration, thanksgiving, and intercession.
• This word covers our general prayer life. This would be like calling in an air strike to a large area. We are not extremely focused. In other words, we might say a general prayer for the missions we support. We might pray a general prayer for a brother or sister in Christ. We might say a prayer of thanksgiving that deals with our attitude of thankfulness in a general sense.