Summary: The importance of remembering at the time of communion.
• Why do we celebrate communion?
o Do this in remembrance of me.
o What are we to remember?
I. Remember our Ransom (18-19)
We are bought with a price.
• “Redeemed” slavery term buying someone’s freedom(ransomed) one time event.
• What do we need to be ransomed from?
Romans 3:23 (KJV)
23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
Romans 6:23 (KJV)
23 For the wages of sin is death; (but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.)
• Peter reminds us that we were not bought with earthly treasures.
o No earthly merit
o Cannot be earned
o It is not common
• Precious blood of Christ
o God has always taught that blood must be shed to cover sins.
• Value of blood
o Gives and sustains life.
o Delivers nutrition.
o Fights infection.
o Regulates body temp.
• It is more valuable than anything this world can offer.
o J.P. Morgan’s will
• “As of a lamb”
o John 1:29, “Behold the Lamb of God that takes away the sin of the world.”
o Passover lamb
• “Without blemish and without spot”
o Christ’s perfect, sinless life (offering what we could not).
o God gave up His best for us, and expects us to give him our best.
II. Remember our Security (20-21)
Once saved always saved!
• Our salvation is eternal because Jesus is eternal, He is God.
• “Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world”
o Planned by God before the creation of the world.
o Carried out by the very Son of God.
John 1:1 (KJV)
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
John 1:14 (KJV)
14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
Philippians 2:6-8 (NASB95)
6 who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, 7 but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men. 8 Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.
• God planned from eternity and Jesus carried it out with perfect obedience, Peter says He did this for you!
• God loves us so much that He would rather die than live with eternity without us, Jesus proved it.
Romans 8:38-39 (KJV)
38 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, 39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
• We know this because “God raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory.”
o Christ’s sacrifice was sufficient
o The wage or price for our sin has been paid in full and Jesus now sits in glory.
Hebrews 1:1-3 (NASB95)
1 God, after He spoke long ago to the fathers in the prophets in many portions and in many ways, 2 in these last days has spoken to us in His Son, whom He appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the world. 3 And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power. When He had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high,
• Why was Jesus able to sit down, because it was finished!
• “That your faith and hope might be in God.”
o Not resting in ourselves!
o Not qualified for the job call a professional.
III. Remember our Love (22)
Unity of Fellowship around the Lord’s Table