Summary: Jesus said, "This is my body which was given for you, do this in remembrance of Me." Let us look at how participating in the Lord’s supper benefits all who come with believing and contrite hearts.
Communion by Paul Fritz
Happiness is being forgiven and appropriating that truth, read the bumper sticker. When I read that quote it made me realize that happiness is continually enhanced through our participation in the truths found in the Lord’s supper. Jesus said, "This is my body which was given for you, do this in remembrance of Me." Let us look at how participating in the Lord’s supper benefits all who come with believing and contrite hearts.
* Communion is a great way of declaring the power of Christ’s death, burial and resurrection. (I Cor. 5:7)
* Christ gave his life to be a substitutionary payment for our sins for all those believing in His free gift.
* Christ gave Himself to be a ransom for us all. Christ alone is the one who paid the penalty for all of mankind’s past, present and future sins.
* Christ’s sacrifice is sufficient to eradicate all of our guilt, shame, and judgment allowing everyone who receives Him by faith to escape the fires of hell and enjoy the bliss of heaven.
* Communion is a way that we declare that Christ’s sacrifice makes us justified and righteous in Him
* Christ obeyed His Father in willingly going all the way to Calvary to make us righteous before God . Are we willing to deny ourselves, take up our cross daily and follow Him as He gave everything for us?
* Christ allowed Himself to become shamed before everyone so that we might enjoy justification by faith. Are we willing to bear the abuse and criticism that often comes as a result of speaking of Jesus?
* Christ proved His love for us in that while we were sinners, He still died for us. (Rom. 5:8)
* Communion is a reminder of how we are proclaiming that salvation is by Christ’s blood and not as a result of our works.
* Christ’s blood alone makes us clean from all unrighteousness . Are we appropriating His cleansing blood for all of our guilt, prejudice or hidden sins.
* Christ’s blood allows us to seek forgiveness and restoration of fellowship with God through the cleansing power of the blood of Christ. (I John 1:9)
* Christ’s blood frees us from any stain, shame or disgrace that people may try to attach to us.
* Communion is a means of having deeper fellowship with God’s people
* The Lord’s supper allows us to identify, associate and fellowship with Godly people who affirm the truth of Christ’s atoning sacrifice for the forgiveness of our sins.
* The Lord’s supper allows us to be drawn closer to other believers through greater appreciation of the love of Christ and the depth of His sacrifice.
* The Lord’s supper allows believers to be drawn closer to the Love of God and the love for one another because of what we have in common in Christ
* Communion is a means of remembering that Christ is coming again in power and total victory
* The Lord’s supper allows us to rejoice in the Lord’s great victory in advance of all life’s trials
* The Lord’s supper allows us to be confident that God will continually fight our battles for us and win every time.
* The Lord’s supper allows us witness to others of Christ’s coming rewards for the believing
6. Communion allows believers to examine their hearts and minds for purity of motives
* The Lord’s supper allows us to take time out to search our hearts and see if there is any wicked motives in our hearts
* The Lord’s supper allows us to come to God in full contrition and the fear of the Lord without shame
* The Lord’s supper allows us to know that only God is fit to judge us perfectly and objectively
* Communion is an expression of our obedience to the Lord’s command
* The Lord’s supper should be a regular part of our worship services to establish the habit of remembering the Lord’s death, burial and resurrection power
* The Lord’s supper is a way of highly esteeming the precious sacrifice made for us who recognize that we are sinners needing His sufficient grace
* The Lord’s supper is a way of bringing peace in our hearts through this special act of communications
Are you fully utilizing all the benefits of the Lord’s supper in your mind, your attitudes, and your actions? Let us ask the Lord to help us to renew, realize and recommit ourselves to declaring of the Lord’s death until He comes again.