Summary: The words of the Apostle Paul still ring true today. We are continuing to pass on the service of Communion to commemorate the death of Jesus and celebrate the new covenant that he bought for us through His blood. This morning as we prepare our hearts for
COMMUNION WHAT DOES IT REALLY MEAN?
The words of the Apostle Paul still ring true today. We are continuing to pass on the service of Communion to commemorate the death of Jesus and celebrate the new covenant that he bought for us through His blood. This morning as we prepare our hearts for this celebration of Communion; I want to examine three crucial steps that we all must take before we can truly celebrate Communion.
Three Steps to Celebrating Communion
I. SPIRITUAL REFLECTION
A. Reflect On Christ’s Sacrifice
1. The reality of His sacrifice
a.) There is no possible way for you to participate in Communion and be able to ignore the sacrifice of Christ
b.) Think of all that Christ gave up to come to earth
1.) Power within Heaven
2.) Position within Heaven
3.) His personal presence in Heaven
c.) Think of all that caused Christ to suffer
1.) Personal rejection
2.) Personal abandonment
3.) Physically brutal death
2. THE REASON FOR HIS SACRIFICE
a.) Why did Christ do all of this?
b.) Romans 5:8 - But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
c.) Christ suffered and died, so that, you could have life and relationship with the Father in Heaven
B. Reflect On Your Personal Life
1. How has Christ transformed your life?
a.) Think for just a moment about the ways Christ has changed your life. Think about how far you have already come in your relationship with God
b.) THINK ABOUT WHAT YOUR LIFE WOULD BE LIKE WITHOUT JESUS
II. SPIRITUAL RELEASE
A. Your Personal Need For Release
1. Every person carries spiritual baggage
a.) Everyone has some issue in their life that weighs them down
2. THE BARRIERS TO PERSONAL SPIRITUAL GROWTH
a.) Lack of Desire – No reason to grow
b.) Lack of Discipline – No time to grow
c.) Lack of Determination – No ability to grow
B. Christ Offers You Release
1. Christ has already paid the price
a.) John 8:36 - If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.
b.) Jesus’ death and resurrection sets you free from everything that binds you and holds you back in life
c.) You have been given pardon from the things of the past and now is the time to walk in freedom
Jesus wants the very best for your life
III. SPIRITUAL RENEWAL
A. The Desire Of Christ To Transform Your Life
1. 2 Peter 1:3-4 - According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue: whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.
B. The Choice Is Yours
1. You are the only one who can choose for yourself
a.) This is a completely personal decision
b.) Will you obey the call of Christ or will you say no?
2. THE RESULTS AND THE REWARDS
a.) The results of saying no
1.) The cost could be your soul
2.) The personal separation from a relationship with God
3.) The pain and misery that accompanies sinful behavior