Summary: Uses the story of Naaman to discuss the hindrances to spiritual and relational healing that must be overcome.
7 Dips in a Dirty Pool
INTRODUCTION: This familiar story is an excellent illustration of the need of every human being for spiritual healing, and the things that hinder us from that healing.
1. POSITON. Vs 1 He was a man of:
A. AUTHORITY: The Captain of the host of the King of Syria
B. INFLUENCE: a great man with his master.
C. SUCCESS: by him the LORD had given deliverance unto Syria.
D. INTEGRITY: an honorable man.
E. ACTION: a mighty man of valor.
> HIS POSITION COULDN’T MAKE UP FOR HIS PROBLEM.
2. PROBLEM: Vs 1 But he was a leper
A. IT TAINTED EVERY SUCCESS. (Mt. 16:26) For what is a man profited, if he shall gain
the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?
Lk 12:20 Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things
be, which thou hast provided? (Luke 12:20)
B. IT BROUGHT A SLOW, HUMILIATING DEATH. (Romans 6:23; Heb. 9:27)
C. IT WOULD BRING SEPARATION FROM ALL THAT HE LOVED. (Rev 20:14)
Isa. 59:2 But your iniquities have separated between you and your God,
Isa. 64:6 But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags;
and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.
3. PROSPECT: Vs 3
A. THE CONFIDENCE OF THE SERVANT. Vs 2,3
1) There is no trace of bitterness in her.
B. THE CONFUSION OF THE KINGS. Vs 5,6
1) The King of Syria sent him to the King of Israel for healing.
2) The King of Israel thought it was a set up. Vs 7
(1 Cor. 2:14) the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are
foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
C. THE COMMITMENT OF NAAMAN:
1) He had to make a 120 mile journey into enemy territory.
2) He had to go to the enemy to ask for help.
NOTE: We too have only one prospect. Acts 4:12
4. PRIDE: Vs 5-12
A. HIS REASONING: (HE THOUGHT HE COULD BUY HEALING.) (Isaiah 55)
10,000 talents of silver; 6000 pieces of gold and 10 new suits!
NOTE: The world is still trying to buy spiritual healing but God says that it’s Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us. (Tit 3:5)
B. HIS REACTION. Vs 11, 12 (Anger)
1) Anger is one of the first evidences of a possible pride problem. (Pr. 13:10)
2) Anger is the natural result of frustrated expectations. Vs 11
(Psa 62:5) My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from him.
3) Anger (PRIDE) can only be overcome with humility and obedience. (James 4:6)
Temper gets people into trouble. Pride keeps them there.
5. HIS PARTICIPATION IN GOD’S PLAN. Vs 13-19
A. THE REASONING OF A WISE FRIEND. Vs 13
B. THE RESPONSE OF FAITH. Vs 14
1) Once he responded, God was able to heal him.
2) Probably not a progressive healing, but a powerful one.
C. HIS REQUEST. Vs 17-19
APPLICATIONS AND OBSERVATIONS:
1. Sin, Like leprosy, will eventually eat away at us until it affects every part of us.
(Num 32:23) ye have sinned against the LORD: and be sure your sin will find you out.