* In the military one of the charges brought against other was the charge of poor conduct.
* The reason the military is so keen on this is because they represent the U. S. government, especially the higher in rank you are.
* To him that is much given much is required. Luke 12 (quickview) : 48(b) For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.
* Exampleship is what the world is looking for. I remember reading a couple stories from Art Linkletter. The first story was the Child who his mother caught him cussing. Where did you learn that? The other was the father telling his son how a Christian should act. Dad have we ever meet one of those people?
1 Pet 1: 3-21
I. A Call to Personal Preparedness and Exampleship.
a. Peter called on the Christian to guard themselves.
1. Probably from personal experience with Christ.
2. In our text he uses a personal pronoun 15 times. Giving us the impression of
a. We are a nation and world of shifting blame.
1. Murderers, burglars, and even us we don’t take the blame.
2. Speeders always have an excuse. When we are late we have an excuse.
b. It is true of all of us that we like to shift the blame to others for our short
1. The Pastor that was doing visitations got tired of the excuses so he
quoted Rev 5;20 Behold I stand at the door and knock if anyone hear
my voice I will come in. Two days latter this Pastor received a calling
card that said Gen 5:10 I heard the sound of the in the garden and I
was afraid because I was naked so I hid myself,
3. The scripture means to set up a defense against the enemy.
a. Armies don’t leave themselves undefended, either do individual soldiers.
4. We are to take heed. 1 Tim 4:16 Take heed unto thyself, and unto the
doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself,
and them that hear thee.
b. Three things that he tells us to do.
1. Gird up our minds (v. 13)
a. When I was a kid we played football and other things without the proper
protection. He is using the mind set of a warrior. This goes well with Eph
6:14 we are to set defenses around our mind.
1. Our minds are wonderful things if used properly.
b. The mind is the arena of action.
1. I appreciate people who say that they keep there mind busy. Because I
have to do the same thing.
c. How do we gird up our minds? By keeping focused on the right things.
1. We can worry ourselves to death, We can cause all types of problems
for our selves if we don’t stay active in Christ.
2. Be Sober.
a. He is not speaking of not getting drunk (though that is a valid point) but
to be alert to spiritual dangers.
b. How many times have I or you gone into a spiritual battle unprepared?
c. This is a picture of a boxer with his hands up.
1. Rope a Dope and now Mohamed Ali is a Dope.
3. Hope till the end.
a. He warned us against discouragement.
1. This is a real battle, We are very bad testimonies when discouraged.
2. When we are this way we become easily dissatisfied with everything.