Summary: There is cleansing found in the confession of our sins to one another, and especially unto God. Unconfessed sin creates emotional distress and spiritual illness.
CONFESSING YOUR SINS
TEXT: James 5:14-16
1. What a wonderful day, this day is. I am so glad, and grateful. You see, I have reason to be happy and excited. My mighty Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, has seen fit to redeem me from my sin and destruction.
2. I serve a risen Savior, He’s in the world today, I know that He is living, no matter what men may say. I see His hand of mercy, I hear His voice cheer, no matter where He leads me, He’s always there. He lives, He lives, Christ Jesus lives today, He walks with me, and He talks with me, along life’s narrow way. He lives, He lives, salvation to impart. You ask me how, I know He lives, He lives within my heart.
3. I am glad that each and every one of you has come to our fellowship today, to worship our blessed King, and to hear the mighty living Word of God. There is one question however, that I must ask you today. “Did you come here for the right reason? Who is it brought you here today?
4. Perhaps, some of us have come here out of obligation to self, so that, by doing the right thing, we might secure a place in heaven. Perhaps some have come here because it is Sunday, and that is the tradition of Sundays. Perhaps some have come here searching for an answer to a question. Perhaps some have come here for entertainment. Perhaps some have come here to help ease the hurt and pain. Perhaps some have come here today to check out this crazy African preacher. I pray that we have all come here to commune and praise the King of Kings Jesus Christ, as He is the one who shall be proclaimed and glorified today. AMEN. HALLELUJAH. Whatever reason that you came here, I pray that you find what you are searching for.
5. As we continue in our sermon series on the Christian Disciplines, I ask you the question once again today: Who are you going to follow? Who is going to be your King? Who is going to make the decisions in your life? It had better be Jesus Christ the Son of God. You need to let that happen.
6. Today, we are going to look at the Christian discipline of confession. Before we get into that however, we need to understand the nature of fallen mankind. You see,
I. ALL HAVE SINNED.
RO 3:23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
A. The Definition Of Sin
1. In the beginning, God created mankind to be holy and perfect, without blemish. To be a creature of love, compassion, beauty and power. To bring glory to our Creator. ISA 43:7 everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made."
2. The Greek word for “sin” is “Hamartia.” This word basically means:-
i. to be without a share in
ii. to miss the mark
iii. to err, be mistaken
iv. to miss or wander from the path of uprightness and honor, to do or go wrong
v. to wander from the law of God, violate God’s law, sin
3. Therefore, sin is to go against the Law of God, and all have gone against the law of God, which can be summed up in “Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul and mind, and your neighbor as yourself.”
B. Man Is A Sinner.