Summary: Let's "look into the spiritual mirror of the Word of God and discover the required road to restoration when sin enters our lives."
Confession and Forgiveness
The Only Road To Restoration*
There is not a single marriage or family here that does not sometimes say things in anger that are mean or hateful. Or that does not from time to time let the other one down; even if by mistake.
That hurt or mistake may be an affair or a forgotten anniversary, or words said in anger. Whatever the case, when these things enter a relationship and bring about distance,
coldness, and isolation.... what is the road to restoration?
Is it to simply wait, and let time heal the wound or enlist others on your side
Confession/Forgiveness... that is the road to restoration.
Let's "look into the spiritual mirror of the Word of God and discover the required road to restoration when sin enters our lives." 1
We usually reserve use of the word sin for offenses committed against God, breaking commandments or doing things that we know are contrary to His will.
But... WE ALSO SIN AGAINST OTHERS.
When you speak in anger and use words designed to attack the self worth of another, or meant to cause them pain, you have sinned against God and there is no doubt that it is against the other person.
When you have an affair you sin against God but there is no doubt that it is committed against your spouse.
Sin can come into our relationship with God, or with another person, or both.
"The Word of God promises hope in what appears to be a hopeless situation. Walk through the scriptures with me as we travel the walk of restoration. We need a road map. The following is a road map taken directly from the scriptures." 2
The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord, and He delights in his way.
Though he fall, he shall not utter(y be cast down;
for the Lord upholds him with His hand. Ps 37:23-24
Understand what this is saying...
1. God has already chosen the path of obedience, the path He would have us travel. It is not left up to us or the majority.
2. When we are on that path, the straight and narrow, God takes great delight in our life. The reverse is also true... when we are off that path. God takes no delight in us, just pain.
3. "Though he fall" you will fall/ sin. No matter who you are, you WILL FALL! God realizes that, but he takes no delight in it, nor does He wink at it.
4. God will not abandon you when you sin... there will be a disruption in the fellowship, you will lose his blessings, you will lose the intimacy with God, you will lose the peace of God. BUT... you will not be rejected like a broken jar... God will not be by you, blessing you (so you will return) But he will not give up on you.
5. Imagine that I take you to the top of a fifty story building and hang you over the side. I offer you a choice.. hang onto this rope OR have the rope tied around your waist. Which would you choose?
You don't hold onto God by your good deeds and perfection.
He holds you by his GRACE.
So now, let's look at what to do about the sin that has come into your relationship with
God, or your loved one, or your friend or both.