Summary: There is a difference in being afraid and being bound by the "Spirit of Fear". This outline will help you shed light on this difference and help you help others get free from this debilitating spirit.
Scripture: 2 Timothy 1:7
It appears that Pastor Timothy (Pastor of the church at Ephesus) may have been struggling with operating in the giftings that God had placed in him.
One summer night during a severe thunderstorm a mother was tucking her small son into bed. She was about to turn the light off when he asked in a trembling voice, "Mommy, will you stay with me all night?" Smiling, the mother gave him a warm, reassuring hug and said tenderly, "I can't dear. I have to sleep in Daddy's room." A long silence followed. At last it was broken by a shaky voice saying, "The big sissy!”
¥ I know this is funny but fear is not…
Today we will talk about…
¥ What fear is and what it is not
¥ What causes fear & How to conquer it
¥ How to help someone who is overcome with fear
I. What fear is and what it is not
A. Fear - A painful emotion or passion excited by an expectation of evil, or the apprehension of impending danger.
1. Fear’s goal is to cause us to live in torment (1 John 4:18)
B. Fear is NOT being afraid. (There is a difference in being afraid and carrying a “Spirit of Fear”.)
1. It’s natural to be afraid occasionally. It’s the defense mechanism that God put inside of us to help us ward of danger.
2. It is un-natural to experience a prolonged season of being afraid. We need to guard against the “Spirit of Fear”.
C. The natural progression of fear.
1. Fear begins with a thought (sometimes abrupt, sometimes gradual)
2. Fear transitions to dread
3. Dread transitions to terror
4. Terror transitions to fright
II. What causes fear and how to conquer it.
A. What causes fear?
1. Impending Threats (Many times people will use threats to manipulate others)
2. Being Alone (Especially after the loss of a loved one through, divorce, death, or some other kind of loss)
3. Life Changes (Jobs changes, moving to a different area, change in schools, retirement)
4. Phobia’s (spiders, frogs, Arachibutyrophobia- Fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of the mouth. Go to www.phobialist.com for more.
5. The Enemy of our Soul etc…
B. Conquering Fear
1 John 4:18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.
1. An Exposition of Godly Love
7 Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.
8 He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.
9 In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.
10 Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.
11 Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.
12 No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.
13 Hereby know we that we dwell in him, and he in us, because he hath given us of his Spirit.
14 And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son to be the Saviour of the world.
15 Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.
16 And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.
17 Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world.
18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.
19 We love him, because he first loved us.
20 If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?
21 And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also.
C. Perfect Love (love that is constantly maturing) cast out fear…
1. When the enemy attacks you he will attack your love walk.
2. Faith works by love and he wants to shut down your faith
III. Helping others overcome the “Spirit of Fear” (once again, this is different than being afraid)