Summary: Too many people are succumbing to the cynicism of the postmodern mindset of defeatism. Paul writes, "Do not be overcome by evil but overcome evil with good." (Rom. 12:21)
Romans 12:21 - Do not be overcome by evil but overcome evil with good.
Illustration:One salesman came back from a remote part of the world informing his boss that he could not sell any shoes to the people. When the supervisor asked the salesman why the people were resistant to purchasing shoes the man said, "Basicaly, people have gone most of their lives without western shoes and they do not need them."
Not content with that defeatist attitude the supervisor sent a more upbeat salesman to the same remote area. When the second salesman returned he said, "Nearly everybody seemed interested in buying a good pair of shoes because they have never been told of all the advantages of a good pair of footwear."
The same situation but a different attitude makes all the difference in the world.
A Defeatist Attitude Says about Their Predicament, Problem or Challenge:
1. Nobody cares about me and my problems
2. Everybody seems to be against me
3. I am worried that nothing will work out right
4. I feel that my life really is not counting for anything
5. I feel that nobody really cares whether I live or die
6. I wish my life were over and all this pain would cease
7. I am suspicious of others who are against me
8. Woe is me. Gloom and doom is all around me Life is so hard and I feel so alone
9. Why can’t I get the breaks like other people
10. Nobody ever seems to see things from my perspective
11. I feel so nervous and full of anxiety I am afraid I will have a nervous breakdown
12. I cannot seem to overcome my lusts
13. I seemed to always be misunderstood
14. I sometimes feel prejudicial to my own people
15. I sometimes feel enslaved to my own sins
16. I sometimes criticize people too much
17. Some people defame me and try to belittle me
18. Sometimes I exaggerate to get peoples’ attention
19. My life is plagued with uncertainty, doubt and fear.
20. I often allow my hurt, unmet needs and disappointments to obscure my ability to see the positive side of every situation.
21. Love not the world or the things that are in the world. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the pride of life is not from the Father, but is from the world
22. I cannot seem to control my anger and feelings of frustration. Be angry, but do not sin. Do not let the sun go down on your anger
23. I have responsibilities that I cannot seem to handle my stress…. Casting all your care upon Him for He cares for you
24. I sometimes feel that my efforts are futile Be steadfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord
25. Usually I get so cynical I have a hard time seeing the reason for continuing to try. Love believes all things, endures all things, hope all anything positive
26. Usually I feel like I could do something better somewhere else with other people. Love believes the best in every person
27. Usually I feel that my life has no real significance. Love believes all things hope all things, endures all things.