Summary: What are some things that Jesus wants us to put into practice (Matthew 7:24) so that we can present attractive bait?
Sermon for 8/31/2003
A. Tell the story of fishing at the Corder’s Pond. Crackers, attractive baits, caught a twelve pound catfish.
B. Sharks when they go into a feeding frenzy.
A. Last week we talked about Practice Makes Perfect. In the Christian life through the Holy Spirit. Put these things into practice.
B. If we live out the things that Jesus talks about here we will have fish biting like crazy. Have a feeding frenzy.
C. The gospel is the hook but we are the bait.
D. Last week we talked about two things that we need to put into practice so that we can present attractive bait.
1. Bible Study
Thesis: What are some things that Jesus wants us to put into practice so that we can present attractive bait?
• Just going over 3. We talked a great deal about anger control with Jonah.
3. Control of eyes, mind, body and heart.
1. Your mind controls your eyes, your body.
2. Read 5:27-28
3. You see it yes, but your mind acts and dreams upon it.
4. (Rom 1:28 NIV) Furthermore, since they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, he gave them over to a depraved mind, to do what ought not to be done.
5. What do people have their minds dwell upon? (Phil 3:18 NIV) For, as I have often told you before and now say again even with tears, many live as enemies of the cross of Christ.(Phil 3:19 NIV) Their destiny is destruction, their god is their stomach, and their glory is in their shame. Their mind is on earthly things.
6. (Rom 12:1 NIV) Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God--this is your spiritual act of worship.(Rom 12:2 NIV) Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will.
7. We need a new mind. A mind that is washed and cleansed and made new. We are corrupt in our thinking. Need to come to Christ. Have the Spirit.
9. 1 Cor 2:16- we have the mind of Christ.
B. The body.
1. The mind controls the body.
2. Read 5:29-30
3. If our minds are pure, then we will not lust in thought or action.
4. Is this advocating castration? Not really, it all begins in the mind. Even without a hormonal desire, the mind can still lust.
5. We must deal radically with sin.
6. All sin begins with the mind’s imagination.
7. We must take action against sins that constantly plague us. I took out my cable. Get rid of the offending objects as much as possible.
8. Imagination is a God-given gift; but if it is fed dirt by the eye, it will be dirty.
9. The mind can tell the eye not to look.
C. The eyes
1. The eyes control what we see and what the mind takes in.
2. We can look for good things are we can look for bad things. It begins with the mind and the mind looks through the eyes for things that will support its thoughts.
4. The eye is the lamp of the body in the sense that through the eye the body finds its way. The eye lets in light, and so the whole body is illuminated.