Summary: God’s Idea of Cool Sometimes Surprises Us. Sometimes what is cool to God is not so cool to us. We must learn to understand God’s way of thinking and adjust our minds to tune in with His revealed will. Let’s note three qualities that are so essential t
Cool To God, Not So Cool to Us
(Luke 18:1-14, Matt. 20:1-16)
1. It amazes me how little has changed in the teen world since I was a teen. I reached the age of 20 in the Fall of 1976, by the way.
2. The music doesn’t sound much different, except for rap---which is not new; it is simply old music with the melody missing.
3. Even many of the slang terms are the same. When I was a teen, something neater than neat was “cool.” Now same word is used, only pronounced differently, “kuh-el”; we’ve gone from one syllable to two.
4. God also thinks some things are cool
5. Today, we will examine three parables, each of which reveals a quality that God thinks is cool.
MAIN IDEA: God’s Idea of Cool Sometimes Surprises Us. Sometimes what is cool to God is not so cool to us. We must learn to understand God’s way of thinking and adjust our minds to tune in with His revealed will.
TS-------------------Let’s note three qualities that are so essential that Jesus invests time to teach a parable about each one.
I. God Thinks Pereserverance Is Cool, But That Means We Need to Learn to Audaciously Pereservere (Luke 18:1-8)
1. Many Christians do not accept the idea that God wants us to pester Him, to boldly ask Him for what we think is right….
(1) we do have to accept God’s sovereign will….resignation
(2)Jesus encourages to do so almost daringly….NT in Greek, but they spoke Hebrew…probably used Hebrew word “Chutpah” for “bothering…”
(3)It took nerve for this lady to keep perstering the judge…
There’s a story about a businessman dining in a fancy restaurant when he spotted Lee Iacocco by the phone booth. “Mr. Iacocca,” he said, “You are the American business hero. I’ve studied your career and any success I’ve had I owe completely to you. Would you do me a favor? I’m with some colleagues. Could you please come by my table and say, “Hello, Harry,” and let me introduce you to them? It would mean so much to me.” Iacocca agreed. He waited for the man to sit down and then walked toward his table. One of the men sitting at Harry’s table said, “I don’t believe it! There’s Lee Iacocca and he’s heading this way!” Iacocca came up to the table and said, “Hello, Harry. Introduce me to your friends.” Harry looked at him impatiently and said, “Come back later, Lee. We’re trying to have lunch.”
2. Abraham bargained with God; Jacob wrestled; Moses kept talking Him out of destroying Israel….God loves it when we haggle with Him…(Psalms)
3. God is not like this judge, in that God is Just (7)….but the lesson of the parable is given for us in 18:1
4. Because God thinks perserverance is cool, we have to learn to perservere
(1) it is required of stewards that a man be found faithful…
(2) perserverance is the key to Christian maturity…growing OVER time…
5. And the point here: perserverance is key to prayer (maybe all our lives..)
We must learn to understand God’s way of thinking and adjust our minds to tune in with His revealed will. You don’t have to like it, though.
II. Humility Is Cool, But That Means God Expects Us to Face Who We Really Are (Luke 18:9-14)