Summary: This sermon teaches us how to live in the victory Christ purchased for us.
7. Jesus therefore said to them, again, “Truly, truly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep.
8. All who came before Me area thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not hear them.
9. I am the door, if anyone enters through Me, he hall be saved, and shall go in and out and find pasture.
10. The thief comes only to steal, and kill, and destroy; I came that they might have life, and might have it abundantly.
16. These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace, in the world you have tribulation, but take courage, I have overcome the world.
Would you like to discover a plan that would allow you to escape the tribulation that you experience in this world and would allow you to experience the abundantly life that Jesus said he came to give? In this world we experience things like inflation, recession, depression, sin, sickness, disease, war, and death. Is it possible to live, right here, in the same environment with all these tribulations and bondages and still experience abundant life or must we wait to go to heaven before we can live free?
Romans 8:2 teaches us how to receive this abundant life. The Apostle Paul writes:
2. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death.
When we discover how to operate out of the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus then we can be free from the law of sin and death. We can live debt-free, poverty-free, recession-free, sickness-free, and sin-free right here in the middle of this troubled world. You say, “Nobody can do that!” Jesus did!
He lived in the same environment we are in, yet He raised the dead, healed the sick, cast out demons, rebuked the storms, and broke the power of sin. Not even death could hold him. John 10:17-18 records these words of Jesus:
17. For this reason the Father loves Me because I lay down My life that I may take it again.
18. No one has taken it away from Me, but I lay it down on My own initiative. I have authority to lay it down, I have authority to take it up again. This commandment I received from My father.
Jesus had the power to lay down His life and to raise it up again, now that is freedom! How could he do this? John 8:23-29 gives us the answer.
23. And He was saying to them, “You are from below, I am from above, you are of this world, I am not of this world.
24. I said therefore to you, that you shall die in your sins, for unless you believe that I am He you shall die in your sins.”
25. And so they were saying to Him, “Who are you?” Jesus said to them, “What have I been saying to your from the beginning?
26. I have many things to speak and to judge concerning you, but He who sent Me is true; and the things which I heard from Him, these I speak to the world.”
27. They did not realize that He had been speaking to them about the Father.
28. Jesus therefore said, “When you lift up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am He, and I do nothing on My own initiative, but I speak these things as the Father taught Me.