Summary: This was part of a series helping people find identity in God. God covers our shame. (This outline was for a seminary class. If you want the actual message, email email@example.com)
Intro: Have you ever been embarrassed or ashamed?
1. Why are so many people wearing less clothes today?
2. What are you ashamed of?
1. Nakedness brought shame to Adam and Eve
2. God covered their nakedness
3. Today many people are “naked” both spiritually and physically.
Proposition:. Our shame can be covered.
Transitional Sentence: Our shame can be covered by understanding God’s actions towards with Adam and Eve in Genesis 3.
I. Sin Brings Shame Genesis 3:7 (NLT)
1. Nakedness without sin is a good thing Gen. 2:25
2. Sin brings shame to what was beautiful.
3. Illus. Ezra tears his clothes in shame Ezra 9:3
II. Shame Brings Fear Genesis 3:10
1. We are exposed – physically and spiritually Proverbs 5:18-20
2. You are more than a body Psalm 139
3. You are a masterpiece, and God is the Master.
III. God Covers Shame Genesis 3:21 (NLT)
1. Marriage is the covering for nakedness.
2. The Prodigal Son – covered with a coat Luke 15:22 (NLT)
3. God wants to put his coat of righteousness on us. Isaiah 61:10
4. Illus. My son in trouble – I cover his shame.
5. Beauty for Ashes Isaiah 61:3 (NLT)
Concl. Our shame is covered by God’s grace.
God says “I’ve got you covered?”