Summary: Part five of the series "A purpose driven life".
You were created to become like Christ.
*Rom. 8:29-30, ’For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the first born among many brethren; and whom He predestined, these He also called; and whom He called, these He also justified; and whom He justified, these He also glorified’.
- Becoming like Christ is a process called sanctification. (Notice the process in today’s reading).
-In the mind of God you were originally created in the image and likeness of God. [The Bible says that; MAN WAS CREATED IN HIS LIKENESS AND IMAGE, BOTH MALE AND FEMALE]
- You are spirit like God is
- You are also a trinity in the sense of being spirit, soul and body.
- You were created with the capacity to make Godly decisions.
-sin stain’s the likeness and image of God in you.
-In the book entitled; ’THE SEVEN ARROWS OF OBEDIENCE’ THE AUTHOR STATES THAT;
’To obey God fully, you must be determined to be a reflection of Christ above everything else’.
* This means no compromise.
- No compromise in your words.
- No compromise in your actions.
-No compromise in what you see or choose to listen to.
-anytime you disobey God, you are sinning and not being like Christ.
*’GOD IS SPIRIT AND THEY THAT WORSHIP HIM MUST WORSHIP HIM IN SPIRIT AND IN TRUTH.’
-Jesus restores us so that we can regain what was lost.
>God’s purpose for your life, if you are a son or a daughter of God, is for you to be like Christ.
- God wants us to grow and be more like Jesus. (’IT’S TIME TO GROW UP’)
*IT’S NOT IMPOSSIBLE IF YOU HAVE THE HOLY SPIRIT.
2 Cor.3:18 says; ’As the spirit of the Lord work’s within us, we become more and more like Christ and reflect His glory’.
-in the book, THE SEVEN ARROWS OF OBEDIENCE the author SAYS; ’the secret of Christ likeness is being occupied with the things that concern Christ’.
- This transformation takes place by; ’by the abiding presence of the spirit of God’.
* The bible says IN 2 COR.3:17-18; ’WE ARE BEING TRANSFORMED INTO HIS IMAGE BY THE SPIRIT OF GOD’.
What is the Holy Spirit’s work within us¿
1. He gives you a new life.
2. He seals you. And gives you the earnest (las arras) of the Spirit.
3. He wants to baptize you,*acts 1:8.
4. He wants to keep you filled at all times. Read Eph.5:18ff;’ ’Do not get drunk with wine which brings disalusion but be filled with the spirit.....
>the trick is to cooperate with the Holy Spirit.
- FOLLOWING THE LEADING OF THE HOLY SPIRIT.
-BEING LED OF THE SPIRIT AND NOT THE FLESH.
-ALLOWING THE HOLY SPIRIT TO PRODUCE SPIRITUAL FRUIT WITHIN US.
>you will not be able to do it on your own.
1. John 14:17 says; ’ The Holy Spirit is the spirit of truth’.
-Therefore you stay away from anything that is false, deceitful or hypocritical.
2. 2 Cor.4:13 says; ’The Holy Spirit is also the spirit of faith.
-Anything that is contrary to faith is not convenient.
- stay away from doubt, anxiety and worrying about unnecessary things.
3. Heb.10:29, ’The Holy Spirit is the spirit of grace. -Bitterness, maliciousness, unforgivenes, unforgiveness and cold love is not from God.
4. we also need each other. The other members of the body will help you become more like Christ, Pro. 27:17 says; ’As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another’. [Old king says; ’one man sharpens the countenance of his friend’]
-when a member of the body hurts we all hurt.
-when someone has a reason to rejoice the rest of the members rejoice with that person.
5. Becoming like Christ is a lifelong process called sanctification.
TURN TO, *EPH.4:22-24
THREE RESPONSIBILITIES IN BECOMING LIKE CHRIST. [*Eph.4:22-24]
-Responsibilities because they don’t come automatic. YOU HAVE TO WORK ON THEM.
1. You must give up your old ways. It takes determination and will power.
2. You must change the way you think.
-start looking at every situation thru God’s perspective [what his word says].
- You are not a slave to sin anymore. No matter what your flesh says.
3. Put on the character of Christ.
- Develop new habits that are pleasing to God.