Summary: Man bears the likeness of God, not only in his physical appearance, but also in the power of reason.
CREATION - NOT EVOLUTION
A. THE CREATOR SPEAKS TO US
1. He warns us against science, falsely so-called: 1 Tim. 4:20
a. A theory which questions the Bible - 2 Pet. 3:3-7
b. Which denies that God created this world - 2 Tim. 4:3; Col. 2:8
2. The source of our wisdom is found:
a. In Christ Jesus - 1 Cor. 1:30; Matt. 11:25
b. In the Bible - 2 Tim. 3:15-17; Matt. 11:25-30
B. EXPRESSES GOD’S IDEAL
1. How matter came into existence:
a. Science, so-called, claims that matter is the result of timeless evolvement; it credits the theory of evolution.
b. The Bible teaches that matter, as well as all else, was brought into being when God spoke, "let it be" - Ps. 33:6, 9; 104:5; Isa. 40:26, 28; Heb. 1:1-3, 8, 9
c. To be created simply means to be spoken into existence - Heb. 11:3
2. Creation of man:
a. The crown of God’s creation -
(1) Bearing the image of God - Gen. 1:26, 27; 2:7
(2) Science seeks to link man with lower creatures
b. I would much rather believe that I bear the likeness of God than that of an ape - Ps. 8:5; 139:14
c. Man bears the likeness of God, not only in his physical appearance, but also in the power of reason.
d. God invites man to "reason" together with Him - Isa. 1:19
3. God’s reason for creation:
a. All things were created for the glory of God - Ps. 19:1-6; Isa. 43:7; 45:18
b. Unto good works - Eph. 2:10; Rev. 4:11
4. Time of creation:
a. Common theory involves millions of years
b. The Bible states, however, that -
(1) God spoke and it was; He commanded and it stood fast - Ps. 33:6, 9
(2) It speaks of evening and morning days - Gen. 1:5, 8,13, 19, 23, 31
(3) The fourth commandment says, "For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, and all that in them is" - Ex. 20:8-11
C. PERFECTION OF CREATION
1. The Bible teaches that all that God made was very good: Gen. 1:31; Ps. 111:1-4
2. The laws of nature speak for the absolute perfection of the creation:
a. The ten laws which guide the study of natural science
b. The higher law which guides man’s moral relationship to his fellow men and the Creator confirms the perfection of God’s work in creation - Ex. 20:3-17; Ps. 19:7; 119:96
3. A state of perfection which cannot be gain-said:
a. Astronomy - the study of the stars
b. Botany - the study of vegetation
All of them speak for the Majesty of their creator and His infinite wisdom - Ps. 19:1-6; 111:1-3
5. Creation - not evolution - is marked upon everything in nature, visible and invisible. Only great wisdom of the Creator can bring a wonderful world into being.
6. The natural laws are incontrovertible proof for creation and against the theory of evolution.