Summary: A look at the differences between a St. Louis Cardinal Fan and a Chicago Cubs Fan. Yes it is biblical, yes it applies to our daily lives.
Editors Note: This sermon was preached in Western Illinois about halfway between St. Louis and Chicago. Because of our location, we have a split in each fan base. Teams may be substituted to fit your location.
Title: Faith of our Fathers
Text Hebrews 11:17-22
October, 06, 2002
Heb 11:17-22 17 By faith Abraham, when God tested him, offered Isaac as a sacrifice. He who had received the promises was about to sacrifice his one and only son, 18 even though God had said to him, "It is through Isaac that your offspring will be reckoned." 19 Abraham reasoned that God could raise the dead, and figuratively speaking, he did receive Isaac back from death.
20 By faith Isaac blessed Jacob and Esau in regard to their future.
21 By faith Jacob, when he was dying, blessed each of Joseph’s sons, and worshiped as he leaned on the top of his staff.
22 By faith Joseph, when his end was near, spoke about the exodus of the Israelites from Egypt and gave instructions about his bones.
Heb 12:1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.
Heb 11 - Great faith chapter
I What is Faith
A. Worlds Definition - Faith is a Noun
1. Confident belief in the truth, value, or trustworthiness of a person, idea, or thing.
2. Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence.
3. Loyalty to a person or thing; allegiance: keeping faith with one’s supporters.
4. often Faith Christianity. The theological virtue defined as secure belief in God and a trusting acceptance of God’s will.
5. The body of dogma of a religion: the Muslim faith.
6. A set of principles or beliefs.
B. God’s Definition
1. Faith is our lifestyle
a. Heb 11:1 - Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.
b. James 2:14-17 - Faith without works is dead
14 What good is it, my brethren, if a man professes to have faith, and yet his actions do not correspond? Can such faith save him?
15 Suppose a Christian brother or sister is poorly clad or lacks daily food,
16 and one of you says to them, "I wish you well; keep yourselves warm and well fed," and yet you do not give them what they need; what is the use of that?
17 So also faith, if it is unaccompanied by obedience, has no life in it--so long as it stands alone.
18 Nay, some one will say, "You have faith, I have actions: prove to me your faith apart from corresponding actions and I will prove mine to you by my actions.
19 You believe that God is one, and you are quite right: evil spirits also believe this, and shudder."
c. Fiath is: Living our lives as if God’s promise has already happened.
(1) Faith is not a noun but a verb
2. Faith is our guide - 2 Cor 5:7 - We walk by faith and not by sight
- Gambling - Do Gamblers walk by faith or by sight?
(a) Faith the odds - eventually it will pay off
(2) Gamblers would probably be a lot better off if they walked by sight - see the losses and walk away
II What does it look like?
A. Two types of Faith
1. Faith of a Cardinal Fan
2. Faith of a Cub Fan
B. Faith of a Cardinal Fan
1. Marge Brodie is a Cardinal fan
a. Follows the action
b. Listens to the games
c. Wears the shirts, buys the hats, etc
2. What kind of faith does a Cardinal fan have?
a. Faith that is based upon past successes
(1) Cardinals are a very good team
(2) 15 National League Championships, 9 World Series Title
(3) This year 97 wins and 65 losses
(4) Currently competing for the title of National League Champion which will take them to the world series
3. Biblical Examples
a. Joshua as he led Israel into the promised land
b. Gideon as God dwindled his army
c. Those healed in the NT.
(1) Had seen Jesus perform many miracles
d. Peter - If Jesus can walk on water, so can I
C. Faith of a Cub Fan
1. What kind of faith does a Cub fan have?
a. Faith in the unseen
(1) 9 National Titles
(2) 2 World Titles
(3) Have to go back to 1945 for their last World Series appearance
b. It doesn’t matter that they don’t win, there’s always next year.
c. You can’t rely on what you see. You just have to keep on believing