Summary: The mission for today's Dads is to: Determine a godly direction for you and your family Adjust your affections to godliness Display a godly faith
1. Dad through the ages
• At 4 – My dad can do anything
• At 7 – My dad knows a whole lot
• At 8 – My dad doesn’t quite know everything
• At 12 – Naturally Dad doesn’t know everything
• At 14 – Dad is hopelessly old fashioned
• At 21 – The Old Man is out of date, what do you expect?
• At 25 – He knows a little bit about it but not much
• At 30 – I must find out what Dad thinks about it
• At 35 – A little patience, let’s get Dad’s input first
• At 50 – What would Dad have thought about it?
• At 60 – My dad knew literally everything
• At 65 – I wish I could talk it over with Dad once more
2. The most difficult job for men – being a good father.
On most jobs there is an “off switch” when men get home from work. Not so in regard to families.
4. D.A.D. on Mission
I. Determine Your Direction Because Direction Determines Destination
A. The Contention Between Lot’s and Abram’s Herdsmen (Genesis 13)
B. Abram’s Solution – Genesis 13:8-13
8 Then Abram said to Lot, “Let there be no strife between you and me, and between your herdsmen and my herdsmen, for we are kinsmen. 9 Is not the whole land before you? Separate yourself from me. If you take the left hand, then I will go to the right, or if you take the right hand, then I will go to the left.” 10 And Lot lifted up his eyes and saw that the Jordan Valley was well watered everywhere like the garden of the LORD, like the land of Egypt, in the direction of Zoar. (This was before the LORD destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah.) 11 So Lot chose for himself all the Jordan Valley, and Lot journeyed east. Thus they separated from each other. 12 Abram settled in the land of Canaan, while Lot settled among the cities of the valley and moved his tent as far as Sodom. 13 Now the men of Sodom were wicked, great sinners against the LORD.
1. Principle of “Doing the Right Thing” – even if it’s costly
• Abram takes the high road – allows Lot to choose – Elder serving younger; stronger and weaker (Romans 14);
• Abram Rescues Lot – Genesis 14
2. Giving vs. Taking
3. Lot Pitches Tent by Sodom
4. WARNING: Wicked City
II. Adjust Your Affections Before Affections Adjust You – Genesis 19:1
The two angels came to Sodom in the evening, and Lot was sitting in the gate of Sodom. When Lot saw them, he rose to meet them and bowed himself with his face to the earth
A. Lot’s Progression with Sodom
1. He looked
2. Pitched His Tent Near
3. Sat at the Gate = key leader/elder of the city
a. What happened to Lot’s Herds? – wanted well-watered land but lives in Sodom [Amos 6:1
b. Application – we often want things until we have them.
c. Used hirelings?
B. A Loss of Standards
1. Had spent time with Abram
2. Did not learn about Trusting God; Righteous Living; Evil Companions (1 Corinthians 15:33)
3. Chose to live in a wicked city (Genesis 19:2-11)
III. Display Your Faith Because Your Faith Displays You (Genesis 19:12-23)
A. Taking the LORD Lightly is Disdain (Genesis 19:12-14)
8 Scoffers set a city aflame,
but the wise turn away wrath.
9 If a wise man has an argument with a fool,
the fool only rages and laughs, and there is no quiet.
B. Taking the LORD Lightly Produces Delay in Action (Genesis 19:24-29)
2. Debating – for self, not Zoar
3. Act NOW – 2 Corinthians 6.2
C. Taking the Lord Lightly Can Produce Disaster (Genesis 19:24-29)
1. Faithless Sodom and Gomorrah
2. Curious Mrs. Lot
3. God was faithful to Abram (and to us) – Genesis 19:29
Blessed is the one who fears the LORD always,
but whoever hardens his heart will fall into calamity.
2. Dads – As a spiritual Leader in your family are you more like Lot or Abram
3. DAD on Mission:
• Determine a godly direction for you and your family
• Adjust your affections to godliness
• Display a godly faith – Genesis 15:6
6 And he believed the LORD, and he counted it to him as righteousness.