Summary: How can we imitate Christ in our ministry? Follows the Dare 2 B Different outline: Embody His Name, Embrace His Mission, Emulate His Word.
DARE 2 B DIFFERENT: In Your Ministry
“Ministry” – the act of serving. Use of a person’s gifts, talents, time, and energy in the service of others.
I. Embody His Name – Reflect His Character in Your Ministry (1 Cor. 3:5-8)
A. Diversity of Ministry (6)
1. We don’t all have to do the same thing.
2. We cannot all do the same thing.
B. Humility of Spirit (6b-7)
1. Its not about the laborers, its about God
2. God brings the results, we are simply His tools.
C. Unity of Purpose (8)
1. Many Ministries
2. ONE Mission
“Now there are different gifts, but the same Spirit. There are different ministries, but the same Lord. And there are different activities, but the same God is active in everyone and everything.” 1 Corinthians 12:4-6 (HCSB)
II. Embrace His Mission – Make Disciples with Your Ministry (1 Cor. 3:9-23)
“Fellow-workers” (9) – Partners in the Mission
A. Build on a Right Foundation (10-11)
1. ALL ministry is built on Jesus
2. Evaluate every ministry by this criterion: “How does this get people to Jesus?”
B. Build with the Right Materials (12-17)
1. Our materials are the truths of God’s Word – doctrine & practical instruction.
2. Evaluate every ministry by this criterion: “How will this get people into God’s Word, and get God’s Word into them?”
C. Build According to the Right Plan (18-20)
1. Ministry depends upon God’s wisdom. Churches and ministries cannot be run by the world’s standards.
a. Balance Sheet
b. Profit margins
c. Popularity Contests
d. The church is the only organization in the world that does NOT exist for the benefit of its members.
2. Evaluate every ministry by this criterion: “Does this ministry reflect man’s wisdom or God’s wisdom?”
D. Build with the Right Motive (21-23)
1. Our motive is the glory of God – that Jesus is lifted up and magnified.
2. Evaluate every ministry by this criterion: “Who gets the glory?”
“Built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus Himself as the cornerstone. The whole building is being fitted together in Him and is growing into a holy sanctuary in the Lord.” Ephesians 2:20-21 (HCSB)
III. Emulate His Word – Radical Personal Obedience in Your Ministry (1 Cor. 4:1-6)
1. Servants and Stewards will answer for their faithfulness in service.
2. We will answer to God, not one another.
1. You are judging God’s servants at the wrong time (4:5)
2. You are judging by the wrong standard (4:6a)
3. You are judging with the wrong motive (4:6b)
“For by the grace given to me, I tell everyone among you not to think of himself more highly than he should think. Instead, think sensibly, as God has distributed a measure of faith to each one.” Romans 12:3 (HCSB)
PowerPoint file available. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org