Summary: Incredibly dumb spiritual decisions that some people make.
THE 2003 DARWIN AWARDS
1. Have you ever known someone who just did not get it? Please do not answer that out loud.
a. In out text, Jesus’ disciples do not get it and Jesus questions their lack of understanding.
b. They had been with Jesus. They had listened to him teach and saw his miracles. Jesus’ question to them was "Why don’t you get it?"
2. That is a good question both then and now.
a. Our lesson: "The 2003 Darwin Awards"
b. How many of you know what the Darwin Awards are? Awards given to people who do incredibly stupid things.
(1) Ill. - Man who did not want to get stung while destroying a next of bees so he tied a clear plastic bag around his head and was found dead by his wife in the yard where he had suffocated.
(2) Ill. - Man who standing on the railroad track talking on his cell phone could not hear because of the roar of the train. He simply covered his other ear so he could hear and was run over by the train.
c. There are folks who just do some things that are not overly smart.
3. I want to share with you three things from a spiritual standpoint that are not overly smart. In fact spiritually they would qualify for Darwin Awards.
Number One: There are people who consciously make the decision that they do not need Jesus as
the Lord of their lives.
A. Two verses
1. Luke 6:46 - "Why do you call me Lord Lord and do not do the things that I say?"
a. There are those that wear the name Christian. There are those that are in worship services every week and yet live contrary to Jesus’ instructions.
b. Jesus wants to know why you take the time to call Him Lord.
2. Acts 4:12 - "there is no other name under heaven where by one can be saved"
a. One cannot go to heaven unless Jesus is the Lord of their life.
b. It may not be politically correct, but there is but one way to heaven - Jesus Christ.
B. Now here are my two questions for you:
1. How do you live without Jesus?
a. I have never figured out how to live life without Jesus.
b. I don’t know how to raise my kids…make my marriage work…deal with issues of life…etc
2. How do you die without Jesus?
a. It is beyond my imagination to think of dying without the hope Jesus gives
b. As you live you will die. As you die you will stand before God. As you stand before God, so will you be throughout all of eternity. To live and die without Christ is unthinkable.
C. Spiritually, one who believes they do not need Jesus is a candidate for a Darwin Award, for such a decision is unimaginable both in life and in death.
Number Two: Another that deserves a Darwin Award for not being too smart is that one who believes that he is strong enough to win over temptation.
A. Certainly with God’s help one can win the victory over temptation
1. (I Corinthians 10:13) - "God is faithful who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but will with temptation make a way of escape."
2. (I John 4:4) - He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world."
B. But here is the rub: Most believe that they can win over temptation with little or no preparation. And they are wrong.
1. If you have ever played sports you know that the game is won or lost in many ways before the game ever begins.
a. There is a scouting report, a game film, a break down of your opponents strengths and weaknesses.
b. Before the contest ever begins you know what you have to do to win the game. Do it and you walk away a victor; Fail to do it and you lose. It is that simple.
2. And what is true in of a ball game is also true in our spiritual lives.
a. We have an opponent named Satan and he is not an imaginary character running around in a red suit with a pitchfork in his hand.
b. He is real and he is interested in one thing - your soul. (I Peter 5:8) "Be sober, be vigilent; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour."
C. Question: When Satan takes his best shot at you, how do you plan on winning?
1. One says "I haven’t given that a lot of thought." And I say to you "You are dead meat."