Summary: Courage is required to combat our war on fear
+ New Slide
> Dissolve In _______________________________________________________
What is WAR
- WAR - a conflict carried on by force of arms
- WAR - a struggle - to carry on active hostility
- Longest War - The Hundred Years War was a series of battles between England and France from 1337 to 1453, thus lasting 116 years. It began when King Edward III of England claimed the throne of France and invaded the northwest of France. Edward’s successor, Richard II, continued fighting, as did Henry IV, who deposed Richard. Henry V took on the war, defeated the French at the Battle of Agincourt (made famous by Shakespeare’s play), and became the regent of France.
- America’s Longest War - Vietnam, 1950-1975
Sept 11/2001 Almost 3,000 people had been killed and twice as many injured, in the bloodiest day on American soil since the battle of Antietam in 1862
American Casualties in Iraq Started week of Feb 18-3147 (antiwar.com) Reported Mar 4/07 - 3175
Two separate bombing attacks on Tuesday kill nine U.S. soldiers
Iraq civilian deaths over 60,000
- War is to destroy & obliterate
- Note the progression Ps 27:2-3
Wicked - Singular (evil doer)
Enemies & foes - Plural Idea of trouble from
Host - Larger group
War - multiple kingdoms
- So who or what is our greatest enemy?
- Taliban?, AlQuida?, N. Korea?, Iran?, Poverty? Cancer? Alcohol?
- The Christian life is not a playground; it is a battleground
- Battle for the heart, soul and mind
Besieged by a bedlam of sights, sounds, impressions, images and emotions—all competing for our time, attention and thoughts—our minds are daily exposed to far more information than we can consciously process.
+ What We Believe Determines How We Behave
> 1 Cor10:3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
10:4 (For the weapons of our warfare [are] not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)
10:5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ
+ Wrong Belief Ultimately Means a Wrong Life.
> 1 Tim 6:12 Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesse
- What is a person to do when their mind has been under assault for such a long time?
- The answer to that is not simple, nor is it easy.
- But you have to start somewhere.
- Faith that Christ will do as he says
- Ps 27:1 - 2x (The LORD is)
- We are not passive in the battle - Active involvement
+ - 2 Sa 22:35 He teacheth my hands to war; so that a bow of steel is broken by mine arms.
- He will remove fear - 2x
- LORD’S weapons are not our not our weapons
- Egypt glory was tangled in the mire of the Red Sea bottom
- Joshua destroyed Jericho with trumpet blast and a shout
- God gave Shamgar an ox goad, and with it he killed 600 men (3:31).
- Jael used a hammer and tent peg to kill a captain (4:21),
- Gideon routed the whole Midianite army with only pitchers and torches as weapons (7:20).
- Samson slaughtered 1,000 Philistines using the jawbone of an ass (15:15),
- David killed Goliath with a stone hurled from a shepherd’s sling (1 Sam. 17)
- Christ used the shame of the cross to destroy sin
+ Spiritual Warfare Requires Spiritual Weapons
> Eph 6:11-13 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
+ > > > > > >
> Eph 6:14 Belt of truth
First mentioned – Preparation
– Strengthen our loins - Strongest part – Confidence
> Eph 6:14 Breastplate of Righteousness
Secures and protects the vital organs – Heart
Truth and Love
> Eph 6:15 Feet - Preparation of the Gospel of Peace
To walk with God – Peace
For a steady advance
To protect from foot traps
> Eph 6:16 Shield of Faith
To extinguish the fiery darts
> Eph 6:17 Helmet of Salvation
Protect the mind
Assurance of salvation
> Eph 6:17 Sword of the Spirit
Word fights temptation
Strikes at sin
Ps 27:1 - Supplied by the LORD Ps 27:1 (The LORD is)