Summary: The Holy Spirit wants to be active in our lives if we’ll let Him. He wants to make us Christ-like and help us do the work of the Kingdom right now. We’re going to look at the Holy Spirit as revealed during the life of David.
DAVID & THE HOLY SPIRIT
1 Sam. 16:13
1. There are a lot of weddings going on. A bride was very unset after her honeymoon so her mother asked her why.
2. "Oh, mother," she began, "The honeymoon was wonderful! But on our way back, Andy started using really horrible language I'd never heard before -- terrible four-letter words!"
3. "But, honey," the mother countered, "What four-letter words did he use?"
4. Still sobbing, the bride said, "Mother, words like dust, wash, iron, cook!"
“Samuel took the horn of oil and anointed him in the presence of his brothers, and from that day on the Spirit of the Lord came powerfully upon David” 1 Sam. 16:13.
1. Tonight we’re going to look at the Holy Spirit as revealed during the life time of David.
2. The Holy Spirit has come to comfort us, correct us, empower us, guide us, teach us and give us wisdom. A key to everything is whether we learn to yield to the Holy Spirit.
3. The Holy Spirit wants to be active in our lives if we’ll let Him. He wants to make us Christ-like and help us do the work of the Kingdom right now.
4. A Spiritless Christian will produce a Spiritless Church!
5. The title of this message is “David & the Holy Spirit.”
I. THE HOLY SPIRIT IN SAUL & DAVID
A. HOLY SPIRIT: SAUL VS. DAVID
1. There was a fundamental difference between the way the Spirit operated in David’s life and Saul’s life.
2. “The Spirit of the Lord will come powerfully upon you, and you will prophesy with them; and you will be changed into a different person” 1 Sam 10:6.
3. David’s experience was different than Saul’s. “The Spirit of the Lord came upon David from that day forward” 1 Sam. 16:13.
4. The Spirit came “upon” Samson & Saul, but it was only temporary. The Spirit was not present with them in between their emergencies.
5. With David, the Spirit came “into” him; He abode on him continuously. The experience didn’t end after a few minutes.
6. One of the reasons for this was that David recognized his need for the Holy Spirit, and sought His presence, and Saul didn’t.
B. WHO IS THE HOLY SPIRIT TO YOU?
1. The story is told that Dr. Walter Wilson once visited a godly man in France. One day he said to Dr. Wilson, "What does the Holy Spirit mean to you?"
2. The doctor answered, "He is one of the Persons of the Godhead." "Yes," replied the man, "that is true, but I asked, what does the Holy Spirit mean to you?"' The doctor again replied, "He is my Teacher. He is the third Person of the Trinity."
3. The godly man looked at him kindly. "You have still not answered my question. What does the Holy Spirit mean to you?"
4. Dr. Wilson saw the truth and made this reply, "He is nothing to me. I have no personal relationship to the Holy Spirit and can live without Him."
5. This was a turning point in Dr. Wilson's spiritual experience. He came into a personal relationship with the Spirit of God and came to know His power in his soul-winning ministry.