Summary: As several of our deacons were rotating off after years of service, we wanted to have a special service to honor them. Perhaps some of my pastor friends could use this material in their own ministry. I use the acronym F-A-I-T-H-F-U-L. Could be used for ot
Deacons Appreciation Sunday
A Service in Honor of Those Who Have Served
Calvary Baptist Church
March 13, 2005
NOTE TO SERMON CENTRAL READERS:
As several of our deacons were rotating off after years of service, we wanted to have a special service to honor them. Perhaps some of my pastor friends could use this material in their own ministry. I use the acronym F-A-I-T-H-F-U-L. This could be used for other church roles and offices. I have left it in the form used in our pulpit. Adapt it to your needs as necessary.
Remarks about each deacon indiviually.
WHAT ARE NOT MY REASONS FOR THIS SPECIAL DAY
1. That I felt from of these men any necessity to honor them.
Proverbs 25:27 It is not good to eat much honey: so for men to search their own glory is not glory.
Proverbs 27:2 Let another man praise thee, and not thine own mouth; a stranger, and not thine own lips.
2. That I felt any political pressure to honor these men.
• With a church in the transition of growth, and a rotation is deacons, some might feel that this is a calculated move to keep peace.
• I don’t need that with these men.
• These men are friends.
• If they have my back, then I’m covered.
3. That this is some custom at Calvary. No! It is unknown to me as to whether this has ever been done.
MY REASONS FOR THIS SPECIAL DAY
1. Because the Bible tells me to honor good men.
Romans 13:7 Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honour to whom honour.
2. Because these are loyal servants of Calvary Baptist Church.
3. Because these men have been friends to this pastor.
4. Because these men have been found faithful.
Proverbs 20:6 Most men will proclaim every one his own goodness: but a faithful man who can find?
F First Place to God
Deuteronomy 6:5 And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.
Proverbs 25:19 Confidence in an unfaithful man in time of trouble is like a broken tooth, and a foot out of joint.
2 Timothy 4:11 Only Luke is with me. Take Mark, and bring him with thee: for he is profitable to me for the ministry.
• “Deacon” means “servant.”
• Integrity is being what we say we are.
• If ever we needed two powerful forces to preserve us along life's way, we need integrity and honesty.
• Honesty makes us learn God's requirements and strive to fulfill them.
• Integrity—being what we say we are—keeps us from claiming to be honest while living as if we do not know God.
Luke 16:10-12 He that is faithful in that which is least is faithful also in much: and he that is unjust in the least is unjust also in much. 11 If therefore ye have not been faithful in the unrighteous mammon, who will commit to your trust the true riches? 12 And if ye have not been faithful in that which is another man's, who shall give you that which is your own?
At this point, recognize the wives for their work and their waiting.