Summary: Everybody has to learn to deal with disappointment.
Dealing with Disappointment
1. Don’t “Dis” me man. Means to dishonor. In modern terms.
2. Most of us know the absolute horror, embarrassment, frustration and pain of disappointments in our lives.
3. The word Disappointment means to disgrace or (by impl.) put to the blush:-confounded, dishonoured.
4. Effective life demands problem solving ability! (Three elements)
1.) Dealing with problems requires three separate elements of thought.
• What can I do before I have a particular problem to PREVENT or minimize it?
• What can we do during a problem to CONTAIN it?
• What can I do after a problem to RECOVER and LEARN from it?
2.) I believe it is better to focus most of my attention on the “BEFORE” part.
3.) We all face DISAPPOINTMENTS.
Three ways I can remove some of the dis- out of -appointments.
1. I Can HUMBLE Myself and See Things As They REALLY Are.
Mt. 23:12 But those who think themselves great shall be disappointed and humbled; and those who humble themselves shall be exalted. LB
• One of the great reasons for disappointment is unrealistic expectations.
• I need to take an honest estimation of myself and my situation this morning.
• Often I am disappointed because I want more than is doable. (Practical)
• This is a major problem in relationships. (Marriage, Family, Church, etc.)
• Sometime I want myself or others to do what only God can do.
Rev. 5:4 Then I wept with disappointment because no one anywhere was worthy; no one could tell us what it said. LB
2. I Can Carefully Evaluate What I WANT With the Help Of OTHERS.
• The danger is that I always THINK I KNOW What Is Best.
• I do this by seeking good GODLY counsel.
Prov. 12:15 The way of a fool is right in his own eyes: but he that hearkeneth unto counsel is wise. KJV
• Good counsel comes from GOD and MEN.
Ps. 16:7 I will praise the LORD, who counsels me; even at night my heart instructs me. NIV
Prov. 15:22 Without counsel purposes are disappointed: but in the multitude of counsellors they are established. KJV
• Good counsel from MAN only comes from godly men.
Ps. 1:1 Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. NIV
Ps. 33:10 The LORD bringeth the counsel of the heathen to nought: he maketh the devices of the people of none effect. KJV
3. I Can Make SURE That I Have Included Jesus In All Of My PLANS.
• The single greatest reason for disappointment is not having our HOPE in God.
Ps. 22:5 They cried to you and were saved; in you they trusted and were not disappointed. NIV
Rom. 9:33 God warned them of this in the Scriptures when he said, "I have put a Rock in the path of the Jews, and many will stumble over him (Jesus). Those who believe in him will never be disappointed." LB
Rom. 10:11 For the Scriptures tell us that no one who believes in Christ will ever be disappointed. LB
1 Pet. 2:6 As the Scriptures express it, "See, I am sending Christ to be the carefully chosen, precious Cornerstone of my church, and I will never disappoint those who trust in him." LB
• Trusting Jesus NEVER disappoints, trusting OTHER THINGS always does.
Isa. 42:17 But those who trust in idols and call them gods will be greatly disappointed; they will be turned away. LB
Isa. 45:16 All who worship idols shall be disappointed and ashamed. LB