Summary: Find your satisfaction in God, everything else will ultimately disappoint, dissatisfy and discourage you. People, career, church, etc. But not Jesus...
Dealing with Dissatisfaction – Psalms 23:1-6
Intro: Ever noticed how we always want things to be different? The seasons, our finances, our job, our age… Many Christians are dissatisfied, always wanting something else and feeling empty after we get it. Kids want more toys, teenagers want more freedom, adults want more money and seniors want more time.
I. Know Whose You Are – v.1
NOTE: When David wrote of God meeting our needs, he didn’t see a slave asking his master or a beggar crying out to a rich person. David pictured a Loving Shepherd and his dependent sheep. David was a Shepherd and knew about this relationship.
A. To understand this Psalm we have to understand a sheep’s limitations.
1. Directionless: cats & dogs can find their way home instinctively, but sheep
are directionally confused easily. They need the Shepherd to guide them.
2. Defenseless: most animals have defense mechanisms– teeth or claws, speed,
a keen sight or hearing, strength, or even a growl, but not sheep. They are
vulnerable to attack from predators. They need the Shepherd to protect them
3. Fearful: aware of their weaknesses, sheep are spooked easily. They are
driven by fear. They need the Shepherd to calm and rest them.
4. Filthy: Other animals lick or roll themselves in the grass to get clean, not
sheep, they will remain filthy unless the Shepherd cleans them.
5. Dependent: other animals find food & water on their own. Sheep will eat
poisonous weeds & die. They need the Shepherd to provide for their needs.
B. Like sheep, we were NOT created to make it through life on our own
1. God designed us to for a personal relationship with Him
2. We’ll sense something missing from our lives until we come to know Him.
Kurt Cobain, of the band Nirvana sang about life’s emptiness and frustration. At 27, he took a shotgun and killed himself. Despite his success, he regularly spoke of his own emptiness. After Cobain’s death, Bill Clinton spoke on MTV. A 17 year-old girl told Clinton, “It seems to me that Kurt Cobain’s recent suicide exemplified the emptiness that many in our generation feel.”
Top 3 survey answers for, “Why don’t people want God to run their lives?” were…
3. God doesn’t really care about me. He is unfeeling, impersonal, and a disciplinarian
2. God will withhold good from my life. He is uncaring and enjoys seeing us in need.
1. God will make me give up things I like to do. His plan will make me miserable
Do these thoughts sound familiar? Satan’s lies about God’s plan Gen 3:1-5.
II. Trust God To Provide – v.2-3
NOTE: All that God has for His people is accessed through trust!
A. Sheep will only lie down when…
1. They’re satisfied: Hungry sheep stay on their feet searching for food.
2. They’re secure: Sheep will not lie down when they are fearful.
3. They’re still: Sheep will not lie down if fleas and flies are bothering them.
4. They’re serene: If there is harmony in the flock, they will relax & lie down.