Summary: Understanding the death of Christ
I. The Wrath Of God Upon Sin
1. Man’s transgression brought sin and death into the world.
a. Gen. 2:17; Rom. 3:9-18, 23; 5:12, 19; 6:23; 1 Kings 8:46; Gal. 3:22; Isa. 53:6
2. God is a HOLY God. He cannot overlook sin and allow it to go unpunished. All sin is a transgression of His laws and His holiness.
a. Col. 3:5-6; Rom. 1:18; Ps. 5:4-6; 106:39-43; Gen. 6:5-7
b. It is because of His holiness that sinners must spend eternity in seperation from God - Matt. 25:41-46; 2 Thess. 1:8-9; Rev. 21:8
II. The Need For Atonement
1. Although God is a Holy God and must inflict His wrath upon sin, He is also a LOVING God and throughout the Bible has made provision to have sin atoned.
a. Gen. 3:13-15, 21; 4:3-7
b. Before sinful man can approach God there must be some kind of atonement made for his sin.
2. Blood is LIFE and was the required as the payment for sin (death).
a. Lev. 17:11; Lev. 14:19-31; Ex. 12:21-25
III. Christ paid the FULL penalty for all of our sin
1. John 3:16-17; Rom. 5:6-10; 2 Cor. 5:21; Gal. 1:3, 4.
a. Christ was our substitute. He took the punishment that we should have taken ourselves.
b. The whole Bible is written to proclaim the death and ressurrection of Jesus Christ on our behalf - Luke 24:44-47; 1 Cor. 15:3-4.
2. Christ made this atonement by His BLOOD.
a. Heb. 9:22-27; Eph. 1:7; 1 John 1:7-9; Matt. 26:28
IV. The Exchange made at the cross
1. Isa. 53:4-10; Matt. 8:16-17; Gal. 3:13-14 (Deut. 28)
a. Christ not only took upon Himself our sin and it’s punishment, but He also took upon Himself the RESULTS of our sin. There is no need to suffer anything that Christ has already suffered on our behalf.
Borne by Christ
2. Sickness and pains
3. Guilt and condemnation
6. Death (spiritual, physical, and eternal)
Offered To The Believer
1. Peace, forgiveness, reconciliation
2. Healing and Health
6. Life (spiritual, physical, eternal)
CONCLUSION: Some say, "God is too good to damn someone." They are correct. God has made every provision for escape from damnation through Jesus Christ. If people are so foolish and stubborn as not to believe and accept this truth then they bring themselves under judgement and damnation (John 3:18-21).
The believer must learn to walk in ALL that Christ has provided in His death, burial, and ressurection. Too many believers are living far below their privileges. The good news is that every blessing in Christ is available to the believer today (Eph. 1:3; 2 Pet. 1:3, 4).