Summary: This is a devotional that I used on the Fourth of July at our Church Picnic.
"Declaration of Dependence"
Today…we celebrate this nation’s "Independence Day."
It all began 226 years ago, when on July 4th, 1776, 56 brave men signed a document known as "The Declaration of Independence."
For these men to sign such a document and press on with this kind of revolution; it cost them a great price.
Do you have any idea what price these men paid?
* Five were captured and tortured by the British before they died.
* Twelve had their homes ransacked and burned to the ground.
* Two lost their sons in the war.
* One had two sons captured.
* Nine fought and died from wounds or the hardships of the war.
-Carter Braxton of Virginia, a wealthy planter and trader, saw his ships swept from the seas by the British navy. He sold his home to pay his debts and died in rags.
-Thomas McKean was so hounded by the British that he was forced to move his family almost constantly. He served in Congress without pay and he died a very poor man.
-Thomas Nelson’s home was seized by the British at the Battle of Yorktown and used as a command post. He urged General George Washington to open fire on it. The home was destroyed and Nelson died bankrupt.
LIBERTY HAS ALWAYS EXACTED A PRICE. That’s what the 4th of July is all about---remembering this price that was paid for our freedoms.
However, this spirit of independence that we celebrate was not meant to exclude God!
-But it has been happening, hasn’t it?
Our nation is steadily moving away from the Lord as is evidenced in recent years.
And what is more sad is that sin will effect the whole…
-A little leaven does leaven the whole lump!
“Righteousness exalts a nation, but sin is a disgrace to any people.”
And certainly, sin has been bringing a reproach…
* God has been kicked out of most public institutions on the pretext of pluralism.
* Abortion on demand.
* Euthanasia and the legalizing of drugs are gaining support.
* Pornography is more acceptable and available than ever.
*Not too long ago, a U.S. District court ruled that the cadets at West Point could no longer be made to attend chapel.
*The Speaker of the House rose in a recent session of Congress and stated that no politician or government representative should take a public stand on a religious matter of any kind---while right behind him on the wall is a large plaque with the words inscribed: IN GOD WE TRUST!
I believe that it is safe to say that we have become ALL TO independent…and have forgotten to become dependent upon the Lord.
And today, I am calling for a Declaration of Dependence! I am calling out for each of us to declare OUR dependence on God!
"Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord, the people He chose for His inheritance."
America: Built Upon Christian Principles
Greece built a civilization on culture and it failed.
Rome built its civilization on power and it crumbled.
But our forefathers founded our nation on godly principles and America will live on as long as the Lord is her God.
Did you know that the picture of Moses was on the first coin minted in America?
Do you recall the picture of Washington at Valley Forge? His little army was almost starving and freezing to death. Everything that they held dear was at stake. They were fighting against seemingly insurmountable odds--but out in the snow George Washington was down on his knees, praying.
-THAT IS THE SPIRIT THAT BUILT AMERICA!
Again…be reminded, "Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord"
America: Richly blessed by God
* Natural resources second to none
* Natural beauty
* Good government, may not be perfect, but still the best--no concentration camps, no secret police, no one-man rule.
* Freedom of speech and the press. I can even speak against the government from this pulpit without fear of reprisal.
* Religious freedom--no state church. A few people meeting in a little shack for prayer have the same rights as those meeting in a cathedral.
* Place where everyone has a chance--men like Edison, Henry Ford who were born into poor families and yet became millionaires. Abraham Lincoln, born in a log cabin rose to the White House.
America: In Need of God
A certain family was riding down a highway one day and saw a sign with the word, "Jesus Saves." A little girl in the back seat asked if it was a savings bank.
A 14-year-old boy was given a Gospel of John. "What’s that?" he asked. When he was told it was a part of the Bible, he said, "What’s a Bible?"
A child attending VBS went home and told her mother that her teacher was swearing. That’s what she thought it was when the teacher used the name of Jesus.