Summary: Christians are called to Interdependence (not independence) even on July 4th weekend
Declaration of INTERDEPENDENCE: EPHESIANS 4: 1-32 The 4th of July always reminds us of our FREEDOM as a people. It is a great celebration of independence. Unfortunately, this word "independence" has come to mean something that our forefathers never meant it to mean. Today it means "NO ONE TELLS ME WHAT TO DO, I CAN DO WHATEVER I WANT, & I'M INDEPENDENT."
To our forefathers however, the idea of INDEPENDENCE was more like INTERDEPENDENCE.
• This is also true SPIRITUALLY. One of the reasons American Christianity is in trouble today is because we have A FALSE Idea Of What It Means To Be A Christian.
We think being a Christian is like being an American ... we are INDEPENDENT, We Don't Answer to anyone but God & NO ONE CAN TELL US WHAT TO DO, & ATTENDING A CHURCH OR BEING A MEMBER OF ONE IS OPTIONAL.
• The Bible NEVER Teaches that we should be INDEPENDENT! Actually, this is the concept of EVIL! (LIVE BACKWARDS)
• SATAN GOT EVE to think & act INDEPENDENTLY from God & her husband -- sin resulted!
Satan himself acted INDEPENDENTLY from God & Was thrown out of Heaven.
• The Bible teaches INTERDEPENDENCE ...
We Are Not Alone, & We Don't Grow Alone ... We Are Built TOGETHER As A Holy Temple, Upon The Foundation Of The Apostles & Prophets. Nothing Good Happens Spiritually
With Independent Christians ... It Is A Contradiction In Terms! There Is NO POWER IN BEING INDEPENDENT.
LOCUSTS DEPEND ON EACH OTHER. CHRISTIANS SHOULD. IF WE DON'T, WE DON'T KNOW WHERE OUR POWER IS. –
Romans 12:3-8, “Do Not Think Of Yourself MORE HIGHLY Than You Ought” is about being humble,& interdependent Just as each of us has one body with many members, … so in Christ we who are many form one body, & each member BELONGS TO ALL THE OTHERS. We have different gifts, according to the grace given us.”
INTERDEPENDENCE: ONX MAKXS A DIFFXRXNCX
Xvxn though my typxwritxr is an old modxl,
it works wxll xxcxpt for onx of thx kxys.
I'vx wishxd many timxs that it workxd pxrfxctly.
Trux, thxrx arx 42 kxys that function,
but onx kxy not working makxs thx diffxrxncx.
Somxtimxs, it sxxmx to mx that our (church or family) organization is somxwhat likx my typxwritxr
-- not all thx pxoplx arx working propxrly.
You might say, "Wxll, I'm only onx pxrson.
It won't makx much diffxrxncx."
But you sxx, an organization, to bx xfficixnt,
nxxds thx activx participation of xvxry pxrson.
Thx nxxt timx you think your xfforts arxn't nxxdxd,
rxmxmbxr my typxwritxr, & say to yoursxlf,
"I AM A KXY PXRSON & THXY NXXD MX VXRY MUCH."
• Many years ago an accomplished organist was giving a concert. (In those days someone had to pump large bellows backstage to provide air for the pipes.) After each selection, the musician received the thunderous applause of a delighted audience. Before his final number, he stood up & said,
• "I SHALL NOW PLAY," & he announced the title. Sitting down at the console, he adjusted his music & checked the stops. With feet poised over the pedals & hands over the keys, he began with a mighty chord. BUT THE ORGAN REMAINED SILENT.
Just then a voice was heard from backstage, "SAY 'WE'!"
When We Strive For Independence We Are Going To Be Disappointed. Because We Were Created For Community. We were meant to live this life with other people.
With Other People Work Becomes Easier. Try Moving Heavy Objects By Yourself Without The Help Of A Few Friends. With Other People Our FEARS CAN BE OVERCOME. It Is Very Different Walking Down A Dark Alley By Yourself Compared To Walking It With A Bunch Of Friends.
HOW MANY OF YOU WERE BORN INDEPENDENT?
(That’s What Daddy Taught Me To Do) ??? YOU WERE BORN & YOU COULD CARE FOR YOURSELF. You could live on your own & make your own decisions. NO, WE WERE BORN DEPENDENT ON OTHERS,
DEPENDENT ON COMMUNITY.
This QUILT is made up of many different pieces, yet they are woven together to make one warm blanket. Marty said these pieces were scraps from other projects. She recognizes some of the patterns from clothes she wore growing up. & her grandmother took each of those individual pieces & put them together.
• Sign seen in a textile mill, "WHEN YOUR THREAD
BECOMES TANGLED, CALL THE FOREMAN."
A young woman was new on the job.
Her thread became tangled & she thought, "I'LL JUST STRAIGHTEN THIS OUT MYSELF."
She tried, but the situation only worsened.
Finally she called the foreman.
"I DID THE BEST I COULD," she said. "No you didn't.
To Do The Best, You Should Have Called Me."
"Instead Of Being Full Of Himself & His Religious Experience, Paul Is Aware That His Own WEAKNESS, HIS EMPTINESS