Summary: It is obvious when we walk by our own power.
Deeds of the Flesh
February 24, 2008 Morning Service
Immanuel Baptist Church, Wagoner, OK
Message Point: It is obvious when we walk by our own power.
Focus Passage: Galatians 5:16-21
Supplemental Passage: Galatians 5:19-21 It is obvious what kind of life develops out of trying to get your own way all the time: repetitive, loveless, cheap sex; a stinking accumulation of mental and emotional garbage; frenzied and joyless grabs for happiness; (20) trinket gods; magic-show religion; paranoid loneliness; cutthroat competition; all-consuming-yet-never-satisfied wants; a brutal temper; an inability to love or be loved; divided homes and divided lives; small-minded and lopsided pursuits; the vicious habit of depersonalizing everyone into a rival; uncontrolled and uncontrollable addictions; ugly parodies of community. I could go on.
Romans 6:12-13 Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its lusts, (13) and do not go on presenting the members of your body to sin as instruments of unrighteousness; but present yourselves to God as those alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God.
Romans 7:15-20 For what I am doing, I do not understand; for I am not practicing what I would like to do, but I am doing the very thing I hate. (16) But if I do the very thing I do not want to do, I agree with the Law, confessing that the Law is good. (17) So now, no longer am I the one doing it, but sin which dwells in me. (18) For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh; for the willing is present in me, but the doing of the good is not. (19) For the good that I want, I do not do, but I practice the very evil that I do not want. (20) But if I am doing the very thing I do not want, I am no longer the one doing it, but sin which dwells in me.
I. Deeds of the flesh
II. I’ve done some of these things, now what?
III. Cannot lose salvation;
a. Either never saved in the first place
b. Or, saved and walking and living by your own set of rules
Invitation: If you are living a lifestyle that doesn’t look holy, you need to get your relationship with God right. Confess your deeds, repent, and live right.
1. Immorality – adultery, fornication, pornography
2. Impurity – unclean thoughts or deeds
3. Sensuality – debauchery, shameless display of evil deeds (Blanche on Golden Girls)
4. Idolatry – worship of anything other than God, (money, prestige, children, grandchildren, easy life)
5. Sorcery – witchcraft, things of the occult, horoscopes
6. Enmities – hatred, hostility, murder
7. Strife – a natural result of hatred,
8. Jealousy – sinful and self-centered greed
9. Outbursts of anger – fits of rage
10. Disputes – factions, which lead to heresy
11. dissensions – discord and disagreement
12. Factions - describes what happens when people quarrel over issues or personalities
13. Envying - a wrongful desire to possess what belongs to someone else
14. Drunkenness – the excessive use of strong drink
15. Carousing – excessive and boisterous intemperance and lustful indulgence (get drunk & have orgies)