Summary: WE can have a deep level of comfort during times of trouble.
• SLIDE #1
• In this evening with Jesus the disciples who were with Him had gone through an emotional roller coaster.
• They had gone from the joy of being with Jesus during the Passover , to arguing over who was the greatest, to hearing that one of them would betray Jesus, to Peter being told he was going to deny Jesus, to hearing once again that Jesus was getting ready to leave them.
• What a ride! Have you had days like that? Days where your world seems to be spinning out of control?
• This is where the disciples are at this point, Jesus knows they need some comfort, so in our passage Jesus gives them a security blanket of sorts.
• There are times when we need a deeper sense of comfort. Let us explore why we can have a deeper comfort!
• Let us begin by looking at John 14:1
• SLIDE #2
• John 14:1 (ESV) “Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me.
• Let us begin by seeing…
• SLIDE #3
You can have a deeper comfort because …
I. Jesus will continue to provide your needs. (1)
• Jesus had said some things that had caused some anxiety for the disciples.
• The talk of traitorous betrayal in chapter 13 must have been alarming to the disciples.
• He knew their hearts were troubled. Over the course of the evening a lot of things took place that caused anxiety within the hearts of the disciples.
• I bet each one of us has had issues with a troubled heart. Maybe you have one right now.
• Jesus as He looks at these men tells them to STOP letting your hearts be troubled.
• There are times when we are confused and hurt. We look at circumstances and let them get the best of us.
• The word troubled means to be shaken or stirred, it was used when speaking of the waters in the pool of Bethesda in John 5:7
• When we are shaken to the core, Jesus has a cure for our troubled heart.
• Jesus’ cure for a troubled heart is to realize that Jesus will be there for you. He will continue to provide for your needs.
• WE are told that we can get strength from our belief in Jesus and God.
• The disciples LOVED Jesus, there was no question about that. The issue for them was their faith in Him as Messiah was wavering.
• Jesus gives the disciples four grounds in which their comfort could be rooted in. Jesus wants them to know that even though He would not be PHYSICALLY by their side, that He would still take care of them.
• How many times have you been in a tough spot and told someone with you that everything would be all right?
• Did you really have any facts to back those words?
• When Jesus tells the disciples to not let their hearts be troubled, He had facts to back up what He was asking them to do.
• Jesus was not giving them some baseless words telling them it would all be ok. Jesus could back up the command for them not let their hearts be troubled.
• When we allow our heart to be troubled, we are allowing circumstances to be bigger than the God we serve.
• Faith displaces anxiety.
• SLIDE #4
• Philippians 4:6–7 (ESV) do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
• When we get troubled it is because we do not think God can provide, Jesus tells us HE will be there for us!
• Let’s turn to verse 2 of John 14.
• SLIDE #5
• John 14:2 (ESV) In my Father’s house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you?
• SLIDE #6
You can have a deeper comfort because …
II. Jesus is preparing a home for you! (2)
• This is the second reason we can have a deeper comfort is the fact that Jesus is PREPARING a HOME for us!
• Jesus follows the command to believe with a promise for his disciples. His departure is for a reason: to make preparations for our eternity.
• We will not be homeless! I know in our economy many people have lost their homes. There are many more who are anxious about the prospect of losing their home.
• Jesus tells the anxious disciples that He is going to His Father’s house, and it is a BIG BIG HOUSE with lots and lots of ROOM!