Summary: Jesus offers some great encouragement for us to enjoy!
• SLIDE #1
• Have you had moments of joy only to be followed by moments of discouragement?
• We have talked about how on this final evening with Jesus before the crucifixion how the mood of the night went for joy to confusion, to discouragement.
• As Jesus is reading the hearts of these men during this final evening together, He knows what they are thinking, and what they fear.
• Seeing this, Jesus tells disciples He is going to change the way He speaks to them concerning the Kingdom of God.
• Gone are the parables, now it is time to lay it on the line with these men.
• Time is short and there is a lot to share with these men in these final hours.
• SLIDE #2
• John 16:25 (ESV) “I have said these things to you in figures of speech. The hour is coming when I will no longer speak to you in figures of speech but will tell you plainly about the Father.
• Jesus goes on in verse 27 to remind these men of something very important.
• SLIDE #3
• John 16:27 (ESV) for the Father himself loves you, because you have loved me and have believed that I came from God.
• In the midst of their discouragement, Jesus reminds these men that God loves them.
• When you are facing the struggles of life, it is imperative that you understand that God loves you.
• We can be encouraged by knowing that God loves us even when we do not feel like He should. Jesus does not want these disciples or you to live in discouragement; He wants us to be encouraged and strong!
• As the time nears for Jesus to go to the cross, Jesus offers these disciples something. As we look at what He offers them, I pray that we can draw a deeper of level of encouragement from the words of Jesus!
• Let us turn to John 16:33 to see what Jesus offers to us!
• SLIDE #4
• John 16:33 (ESV) I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.”
• First we see that…
• SLIDE #5
I. A great blessing.
• Jesus starts verse 33 by saying, “I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace.
• Peace is something that Jesus wants you to have no matter what the situation. Jesus knows what He is about to face and how it will impact His disciples.
• Jesus is offering inner peace from the coming pain they were about to face.
• This is something that we have to understand if we are going to grow in Christ, we have to know that in Christ we can experience peace.
• SLIDE #6
• Philippians 4:7 (ESV) And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
• The reason this peace surpasses all understanding is because you cannot understand it.
• The circumstances that we face would tell us that we should be in turmoil and that we should be panicking.
• We should be running in circles screaming until we drop from heart failure!
• When you experience the peace of Christ, you do not feel compelled to react in that manner.
• The peace that Jesus wants them to have can ONLY be found in Him. Jesus says that IN ME you will have peace.
• Peace comes to us objectively through the redemption Christ made in his suffering and death.
• SLIDE #7
• Romans 5:1 (ESV) Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.
• Because of what Jesus did for us on the cross, we can have peace with God.
• From a subjective standpoint we can enjoy peace through the comfort and assurance we experience in being in Christ.
• Let me ask you something, would you not like to enjoy peace in this life? Would you like to be able to get rid of the knots in your stomach? In Christ you can have peace. Even when it does not look like you should.
• Later in the verse Jesus tells the disciples to TAKE HEART.
• These men are going to have their world turned upside down very soon and Jesus wants them to be strong. To TAKE HEART means to be strong, to not lose courage.
• The only way you can TAKE HEART is if you trust Jesus. The only way you can experience peace is to trust Jesus and to be in HIM!