Summary: The message encourages Christians to spread the Gospel and to inspire one another in effective soul winning.
Wed. Night Bible Study Prepared For Jan. 23rd, 2002 (Christian Discipleship)
Defining Discipleship (Part Two)
Matt 4:19 (NKJV)19 Then He said to them, "Follow Me, and I will make you
fishers of men."
Acts 1:8 (NKJV)
8 "But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth."
Discipleship means what Jesus meant by it, nothing more and nothing less.
Some people want to give Discipleship a simple, short definition, but it just
cannot be done.
In order for us to understand what being a disciple truly is all about, we must first carefully examine what Jesus meant by it.
A. What ever the word disciple meant before Jesus got a hold of it is not
adequate because Jesus transformed the concept of discipleship into His
complete, perfect divine plan for reaching men and women around the
globe with the good news of salvation in Him.
B. In coming to understand what discipleship is, we must look at Jesus’
relationship with the original twelve.
C. Discipleship is the act of being what Jesus meant by "disciple."
1. An intimate personal relationship with a disciplemaker.
2. A personal commitment to be made into a disciple
3. Personal instruction by a disciplemaker.
4. Disciplemaking cannot be accomplished by impersonal means.
5. Disciplemaking cannot be done without personal commitment.
6. Disciplmaking cannot take place apart from personal instruction.
D. As Disciples of Christ, we are to grow and mature and then we are to
1. A disciplemaker cannot make disciples just any way.
2. Disciples MUST BE MADE they don’t just happen accidentally!
3. When Jesus returned to Heaven He turned the job of making
disciples over to His followers.
4. He gave His followers the gift of the Holy Ghost to empower their
5. The Church Of God has the power, but Satan has tried to rob us of the
vision of disciplemaking so that he may stifle the growth of this
Holy Ghost filled church.
E. Satan seeks to hinder us by intimidating us.
1. You cant be a disciplemaker, you are too fat, too skinny, too tall, too short,
too ugly, you don’t have enough education, or else you are educated in the
wrong field of study.
2. It is time that we stop allowing the devil the opportunity to intimidate us
and that we get on with the business of the KING!
3. Somebody has to do it!
Luke 19:39-40 (KJV)
39 And some of the Pharisees from among the multitude said unto him, Master, rebuke thy disciples.
40 And he answered and said unto them, I tell you that, if these should hold their peace, the stones would immediately cry out.
4. We are different from all the rest of creation.
Human beings are the only part of the creation that God breathed into.
We are created after His likeness, His image, it would be a crying shame if
He had to raise up stones to do the work of an evangelist.
I. Jesus Left Us With A Command
Matt 28:18-20 (KJV)
18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.