Summary: The weakness of the average Christian in opposing demon powers is caused largely by his/her failure to recognize the source of trouble. Most Christians are so lacking in a true understanding concerning this matter until they are helpless and confused in
The weakness of the average Christian in opposing demon powers is caused largely by his/her failure to recognize the source of trouble. Most Christians are so lacking in a true understanding concerning this matter until they are helpless and confused in their warfare against demons. Dake pg 908
1. Demons --- spiritual beings at enmity with God, and having the power to afflict man, not only with disease, but, as is marked by the frequent epithet "unclean," with spiritual pollution also. Smith
2. Demons are disembodied spirits --- they operate through possession of bodies
B. The word Demon --- not found in scriptures, but it means evil spirit or devil.
1. Devil = diabolos in Greek --- Strong's 1228
2. Devil = daimonion in Greek --- Strong's 1140
3. Devil = daimonizomai in Greek --- Strong's 1139 possessed with
II. ORIGIN OF DEMONS
1. Angel and Angels used 294 times in Scripture
2. Only about 12 times are these wicked/evil/rebel angels
B. Evil Angels --- Possibilities
1. Fallen Angels
2. Why/When did Angels Sin?
3. Fate of Fallen Angels
a. Cast down to Hell (Tartarus) --- chains II Peter 2:4
b. In chains --- darkness Jude v. 6
c. Hell prepared for the devil and his angels Matthew 25:41
d. Bottomless pit Rev. 9:11
e. Four angels bound --- Euphrates Rev. 9:14-15
C. Are Fallen Angels Demons?
1. Are Fallen Angels Bound and/or Loose?
2. Satan is loose (one evil angel is currently free) II Cor 11:14 angel of light
3. Only mention of evil angels being free after possibilities of Gen 6 is in Psalms 78:49.
4. Possibilities of free Fallen Angels
5. If Angels have bodies, can they possess other bodies?
6. Are Angels and spirits synonymous?
D. Other Option for Demons --- spirits of pre-Adam man
1. Body destroyed --- Earth destroyed
2. Spirit released --- Disembodied
3. Desire to possess bodies to operate and experience the natural world to satisfy
lusts and rebellion
4. No mention of confinement--free in the spirit realm
Are they the Rulers of Darkness in Ephesians 6:12?
III. PUNISHMENT OF REBEL ANGELS AND DEMONS
A. Fallen Angels bound ( At least some)
B. Fallen Angels
1. Judged by saints
2. Confined to Hell Matthew 25:41 "hell prepared"
C. Ability To Feel Associated with Pain --- Punishment
1. If angels have a body with ability to feel --- experience pain?
2. If spirits must possess a body to experience pain --- then can demons feel pain? 3. What if demons (devils) were reunited with their bodies? --- pain ---
a. "torment before the time?" Matt. 8:29 What time?
b. Sent to the deep --- The Abyss (Bottomless Pit Rev 9:11) Luke 8:31
D. Explanation of Bound Fallen Angels
IV. NOT TO BE WORSHIPPED
A. Forbidden Col. 2:18 This contributed to the fall before.
B. Tells John not to worship him Rev. 22:8-9
V. HOW CAN WE RECOGNIZE SATANIC AND DEMONIC INFLUENCE?
Caution: One characteristic alone may not be appropriate to define influence. The flesh itself it capable of very evil activity. Now the works of the flesh are made manifest Gal 5:19-21
A. We've already heard some characteristics in passing:
1. Rebellion --- Pride
2. Killing --- Lust
B. Evidence of Influence
2. Occupied by death and symbols thereof: Luke 8:27 "dwelt among the tombs"
3. Supernatural Strength Mark 5:4 "no man could bind him"
4. Self-destructive (Suicidal) Mark 5:5 "He cut himself"
5. Violent Mark 5:13 ran violently down Satan is always bringing you down.
a. Worship Mark 5:6 Satan has a counterfeit for every reality of God.
b. Recognize Christ Mark 5:7
Seemingly answers to prayer does not indicate good standing with God.
Caution: Can be due to injury, drugs, alcohol, biological, birth, etc.
8. Bodily Disease and Dysfunction
9. Fortune telling--- Divination --- Astrology?
Acts 16 Remember? Paul cast him out of her and he came out of her.