Summary: Desiring God in Spiritual darkness.
Pastor Allan Kircher
Shell Point Baptist Church
26 August 2013
"With my soul have I desired thee in the night."—Isaiah 26:9.
Night appears to be a time peculiarly favorable to devotion.
Its solemn stillness helps to free the mind from the perpetual sin which the cares of the world will bring about;
• The stars looking down/heaven upon us shine as if they would attract us up to God.
• I don’t know how you are affected by the solemnities of the night, but I have sat alone reflecting on the mighty universe.
• I have felt that indeed I could worship him;
• for night seems to be the a very temple for adoration
When I consider the heavens, the work of Gods’ fingers, the moon and the stars which He has ordained; what is man, that God is mindful of him?
Even with the most irreligious person,
• a man farthest from any spiritual thought
• It seems there is some power in the grandeur and stillness of night to draw him up to God.
I trust many of us can say, like David, "I have thought upon thee continually, I have thought upon thy name in the night, and with desire have I desired thee in the night."
But I leave that thought altogether.
• I address myself to two orders of persons
• I endeavor to show what I conceive to be the meaning of the text.
• May God make it useful to you?
First, I shall speak to confirmed Christians; Second, I shall speak to newly awakened souls
Prayerfully, we will say, “With my soul have I desired thee in the night."
I. The first fact I shall draw out is to the confirmed believer
• I’m sure we can admit wholeheartedly:
• The Christian is not always the bright shining sun!
• We have seasons of darkness and of night.
Many have rejoiced/presence of God for a season
• Basked in the sunshine God/pleased/give us.
• Walked along “green pastures”
• By the side of the “still waters”
Then suddenly/month or two/find that glorious sky is clouded
• Instead green pastures/tread the sandy desert.
• Instead still waters/find streams blackish to our taste
• Streams bitter to our spirits.
The best of God's saints have their nights; the dearest of his children have to walk through a wilderness. Take heart!
There is not a Christian, who has enjoyed perpetual happiness,
• No believer/always/sings/song of joy.
• Hey, you can’t always see the same star at night!
• Not every Christian is always happy.
Perhaps/God/gave you/season/great joy at first because you were a raw recruit.
• God didn’t want to put you in roughest part of the battle when you first enlisted!
• You were a tender plant
• He wanted to nurse you before you went into the heat.
But when you become strong the case is different.
• He expects you to make provisions now.
• He expects you to call upon him for strength.
We need clouds and darkness to exercise our faith, to cut off self dependence, and make us put more faith in Christ
This darkness over the soul/Christian rises/temporal distresses.
• A misfortune in the walk of his life.
• Something gone wrong in his business
• Or an enemy has done something against him.
• Death has struck down a child
• Bereavement has snatched away their spouse.
Remember again from last week: John 16:33 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”
• Church! This is where Faith comes into practice.
• This is where your desires match your faith!
Better --Christian's day of sorrow
Than world's days of happiness.
than/reign in the palace/Ahab.
Than a child/Satan in riches.
Cheer up, you with a downcast spirit, if this is you….
• Remember/many saints have passed through the same
• the best and most eminent believers have had their nights.
• Someone else may say, “you have not described my night!”
• Or “I don’t have any evidence of my Christianity”
• There was a season when I flattered myself
• I knew something about godliness and God;
• Now I doubt whether I have any part or lot in the matter.
• I see no hope for me.
• I am afraid I am a hypocrite.
• While others are commending me
• I am accusing myself of all manner of sin and corruption.
I am afraid there cannot have been a work of grace in my heart
• Why do I have these corrupt imaginations.
• Filthy desires,
• Hard thoughts of God, so much pride