Summary: We have access to God through prayer
Prayer is our invitation to join God at His throne!
1. God Commands pray - Col 4:2
2. God is glorified by pray
• It acknowledges His Omniscience - Ps 139:2
• It acknowledges His Omnipotence - Job 42:2
• It acknowledges His Sovereignty - 1Jo 5:14
• It acknowledges His Mercy - Ps 18:6
3. God is moved by pray - Is 38:5
4. We are changed by pray- Ps 107:19
5. Others are helped by pray (intercession) Eph 6:18
6. More than anything, we pray because Jesus did. Luke 11
7. We can pray because of a relationship! OUR FATHER!!
I. The Attitude of Prayer - vs. 5
A. The Presence of Prayer - it is an act of faith - not always a feeling.
1. His Promises are our Purpose - We need Him!
2. Our Prayer gains His Attention - Ps 145:18
B. Our Priority is the Audience of God - "To Be heard"
C. The Privacy - vs. 6 In "Secret" we see three things:
1. No Distractions to Prayer
2. No Discouragement to pray
3. No Doubt in Prayer - Unseen: invisible, yet God is there and listening.
II. The Attention of Prayer - vs. 6 - "Pray to thy Father" Neh 4:9
A. The Dependence of our Prayer
1. An Attitude - first word in verse – Nevertheless- Whatever happens
2. A First Action - Prayer took absolute priority. Did not prepare for Battle
B. The Defense in our Prayer - It is a method of Defense - set a watch – Mt 26:41
1. It is Intentional
2. It is Intervention
C. The Degree of our Prayer - "day and night" Ps 55:17
III. The Action of Prayer - vs. 7-8
A. Sincere Asking - vs. in 1 Kings 18, Ac 19:34
1. Danger of Empty Words - 1 Kings 18:26
2. Danger of Extravagant Speaking repetition vs. 7
- The difference is not the amount of prayer, but the sincerity in prayer
- Repetition is not wrong but empty routine does not please God
- Sincerity in seeking God is welcomed by God. Flippant religion is not.
- Desire for Fellowship with God
- Genuine Heart as we make our requests
B. A Serious Access be not therefore like unto them vs. 8a-Eccl. 5:2
1. Deliberate Prayer - Careful to speak before God, but thorough
2. Genuine - not rash, Do not pray words just to pray It is not by habit.
C. A Settled Assurance Faith vs. 8 Be settled about to whom you are praying!
1. It is because of a Relationship - Your Father knoweth - it is back to the relationship!
2. It is to be with Reliance - He knows what we need, so ask Him!
IV. The Affection of Prayer vs. 9 - "Our Father"
A. The Relationship - Father! - No relationship, no access, Pr 15:29
B. The Realization of our Source - vs. 6:33 - Matthew 7:7-11, Jas.1:17
Concl: Why would we neglect such an honor? Why would we ignore the invitation? Why would prayer be only a last resort? Why would we allow our lives to be overrun to the point that we never take time to talk to our Lord?
Disclaimer: A man once told me that if it is true, it is not new. If it is new, it is not true. We all know there is nothing new under the sun. With that said, I glean ideas for my sermons from God’s Word, my own thoughts and work, and many other sources. Any similarity to my sermons and others, where credit is not given, is either coincidental, or an unintentional mistake on my part. As none of us have a corner on the wisdom and teaching of God’s Word, it is my desire that any of my outlines be an encouragement, a help, and hopefully a motivation for others to preach God’s Word clearly. Please feel free to use any portion of my sermons if they can be of help to you and your ministry. I purposely include a skeleton outline, and not my full text, for this purpose. It is all for His Glory.