Summary: Many churches are barren as our nation and world dies in sin. We are desperate for a mighty move of God.
A DESPERATE NEED FOR
A MOVE OF GOD
Now Eli was very old, and heard all that his sons did unto all Israel; and how they lay with the women that assembled at the door of the tabernacle of the congregation.
And the child Samuel ministered unto the LORD before Eli. And the word of the LORD was precious in those days; there was no open vision. And it came to pass at that time, when Eli was laid down in his place, and his eyes began to wax dim, that he could not see; And ere the lamp of God went out in the temple of the LORD, where the ark of God was, and Samuel was laid down to sleep;
HERE WE READ OF A TIME WHEN THERE WAS A DESPERATE NEED FOR A MIGHTY MOVE OF GOD.
ELI WAS OLD,
AND HIS HEALTH WAS FAILING,
HE WAS NOT ABLE TO SERVE AS THE PRIEST AND PROPHET OF GOD TO ISRAEL.
HIS SONS WERE NOT IN ANY CONDITION TO SERVE
AS GOD’S MINISTERS EITHER.
THEY WERE DEFILED WITH SINS OF THE FLESH.
THEY COULDN’T MINISTER UNTO GOD
OR UNTO THE PEOPLE.
ALL THEY DID WAS MINISTER UNTO THEIR FLESHLY APPETITES.
A. V.1 TELLS US THAT THERE WAS NO OPEN VISION
AND THAT THE WORD OF THE LORD
1. AFTER CAREFUL STUDY YOU LEARN THAT GOD WAS NOT SPEAKING TO HIS PEOPLE,
NOR WAS HE MOVING AMONG HIS PEOPLE.
2. IT GOES WITHOUT SAYING THAT THERE WAS A DESPERATE NEED FOR A MOVE OF GOD IN THOSE DAYS.
3. IT SOUNDS LIKE THE DAYS WE ARE IN.
AND CONDONING HOMOSEXUAL BEHAVIOR.
PASTORS AND EVANGELISTS CAUGHT IN
PASTORS AND EVANGELISTS CAUGHT DRINKING AND DRIVING,
MOLESTATION OF CHILDREN,
IT MAKES YOU WONDER WHO’S SHEPHERDING SOME OF THE FLOCK.
4. THERE IS A DESPERATE NEED FOR GOD TO MOVE IN OUR LIVES,
IN OUR CHURCHES,
AND IN OUR NATION.
5. CAN GOD STILL MOVE TODAY?
6. NOW, THAT QUESTION CAN ALMOST GO UNANSWERED.
7. IF GOD IS GOD, AND HE IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE
THEN HE CAN MOVE AT ANY TIME HE WANTS TO,
AND HE CAN MOVE IN ANY WAY HE WANTS TO.
8. SO THE QUESTION IS,
WHY DO WE NOT SEE GOD MOVING IN A GREATER WAY?
9. I AM CONVINCED THAT GOD CAN STILL MOVE,
THAT HE STILL MOVES,
AND THAT HE WILL MOVE IN OUR LIVES
AND IN OUR CHURCH TODAY,
IF WE ARE WILLING TO GET OUT OF THE WAY AND ALLOW HIM TO.
10. THE ONLY THING THAT STOPS GOD FROM MOVING IN OUR LIVES,
AND IN OUR CHURCH IS US.
12. WE STAND IN THE WAY WITH OUR TRADITIONS
OUR HANG UPS,
OUR OWN WAY OF THINKING,
OUR UNCONFESSED SINS,
OUR SELF RIGHTEOUS-FAULT FINDING SPIRITS.
13. GOD WANTS TO DO A MIGHTY THING IN THESE LAST DAYS,
AND IF GOD CANNOT MOVE THROUGH US -
HE WILL MOVE AROUND US.
14. WE WILL BE LEFT OUT OF WHAT GOD IS DOING.
15. AND WITHOUT A MIGHTY MOVE OF GOD,
EVEN SOME THAT SIT ON CHURCH PEWS REGULARLY ARE HEADED FOR THE JUDGMENT OF GOD.
B. IT IS TIME THAT THE PEOPLE OF GOD DO MORE THAN JUST TALK ABOUT REVIVAL,
IT IS TIME WE LIVE,
AND EXPERIENCE REVIVAL.
1. REVIVAL CAN NO LONGER BE JUST SOMETHING WE DO EVER SO OFTEN IN HOPE THAT SINNERS
AND NEW PEOPLE WILL COME TO HEAR SOME HOT SHOT PREACHER,
AND START COMING TO OUR CHURCH.
2. IN FACT, STATISTICS SHOW THAT THERE ARE FEWER